Find
Notify
Tools

What will you be hunting this year?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I didnt get any of the limited entry hunt tags this year that I put in for, just more bonus points. So I will just be chasing the usual, Buck Mulie, Bull Elk, and various small game.

Im hopefull that sometime in the future will allow a Moose hunt, Bison and premium Mule Deer but Ive not been so lucky yet. Ive also been talking to my brother about a future Idaho trip for Black bear, a worthy future goal to work for.

What will be in your sights this year?

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
First roe.

Then I go to hungary to study, I hope to get some boar hunting. If I get home in chrismas, I might hunt some more roe and small game.

I'll miss the deer and moose season this year.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr: I also missed the "luck of the draw - special tag ship" as it went by me again! I tried for Montana Moose, Bighorn Sheep and Mt. Goat - with no luck. I have yet to hear about Antelope and limited permit Elk and Deer areas.
But I do have in hand Cougar, Bear, Elk and Deer tags for Montana so my plate of Hunting opportunities is pretty full!
Montana does have an amazing variety of types of terrain to Hunt both Whitetails and Mulies in and I will concentrate on Deer first then go for Elk. Hunting the Bear and Cougar as I am in the field for Deer and Elk. The Antelope herds seem to be doing very well indeed all over Montana and that season opens 14 days before the Deer - Elk opener. Busy fall coming up for sure for me.
I have been along on several Buffalo Hunts as "helper/photographer" and they are a hoot. The meat from the creatures my friends have harvested is simply "excellent"! I really like the texture and taste of the Buffalo meat and burger! I also earned a skull for my assistance on one Hunt. I had the taxidermist use the Demastid Beatles on it and it now hangs on my fireplace! Very attractive looking skull! Get after one! The reason I did not harvest any Buffalo is my freezer has been just to full for a whole Buffalo!
Good luck down your way!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Dove, quail and any antlered deer. Missed on elk and antelope.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Whitetail and Mulie in Texas
Pronghorn in New Mexico
Mulie in New Mexico.
Elk in Oklahoma.

Of course there will be plenty of Dove hunting in Sept. in Texas, but that is just a warm up for the serious stuff to come!

If I can hold out for just a couple more months, I will likely not book an African safari for 2003! [Big Grin] I have been unsuccessful for the past few years in resisting Africa. A deal will come along and I always give in.

[ 08-04-2003, 01:29: Message edited by: Wendell Reich ]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
I missed out on adult moose, so:

Sept. 1, black bear
Oct. 11, calf moose and grouse; maybe bear
Nov. 1, deer and grouse; maybe bear.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wil be hunting bighorn,elk,whitetail and muledeer this fall with a rifle and possibly moose with a bow.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
Looks like it'll be GUNS this year; ANIMALS next year! [Big Grin]

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like my schedule will be,

Early Sept. Resident Honkers in Minnesota

October, Ibex in Spain

November, Whitetail

December, Auodad in West Texas

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Red deer, fallow deer, mouflon and wild boar in Spain in September.

Mountain goat hunt in the Prince William Sound of Alaska in October.

Mule deer and, hopefully, antelope in Montana with Keith Atcheson in late October/early November.

November, December. Whitetails and wild hogs here in coastal South Carolina.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dove, Teal then off to Sweden and then Finland for Moose. Whitetail here in Maryland, then Whitetail in Mississippi and finish the season with quackers.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Whitetail
Idaho Elk
Custer State Park Bison
NWT Wood Bison

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
August 30 -- Lake Iliamna Alaska for Caribou and Wolfe. September -- Doves,Wood ducks and teal in Ky. November 9th -- Northwest Colorado for Elk with group including son and grandson. November -- Whitetails in Ky. December -- Ducks and Geese in Ky. The rest of the year, reloading nightly and shooting three days a week, weather permitting. When I am not doing all the above, I feel lost if I am not talking to you idiots on AR. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I miised out on special permits for Elk,deer,and turkey.I will be hunting Dove, Antelope in NM,archery deer,gun deer,turkey,pheasant,and a deer hunt in Mo.I'd like to jump on a short notice elk hunt 5x5 or better we'll see.Good hunting to all.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like whitetail deer, grouse, ducks and might even get some goose in.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
I got an antlered Elk draw for WMU 418, after 3 years of trying, so I'll be making the most of that, probably a week of pack in (by horse) at least. There's some good bulls out there, but you gotta get away from the campground. With the fires out there right now, and no rain in the future, it will be interesting to see how the situation develops. Forestry kicked 500 campers out of there on friday and Mountain Aire Lodge was evacuated.
Grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Doc in Texas>
posted
I will be hunting this year.

Pronghorn in West Texas
Whitetail in Texas
Black Bear in B/C
Exotics in Texas
hopefully get to Africa in 2004, and New Zealand in 2005

Doc in Texas

[ 08-06-2003, 01:22: Message edited by: Doc in Texas ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dall Sheep with a chance at interior grizzly around the 20th of August.
Moose/Caribou
Sitka Deer around the 1st of November

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drew a limited entry bear tag for Idaho in September.
Oregon Hells Canyon Wilderness for buck deer in October.
Idaho bull elk in October and Idaho buck mule deer in October.
Going to be a busy two months.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Black Bear in the Saw Tooths at the end of this month.

Pronghorn in New Mexico late September.

That's it, other than some birds.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
For me its the same old thing year after year. [Big Grin] Dall sheep, moose, then maybe Griz off the gut pile, caribou, and maybe goats or a fall black bear down by the coast. Sigh. [Big Grin]

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKJD:
For me its the same old thing year after year. [Big Grin] Dall sheep, moose, then maybe Griz off the gut pile, caribou, and maybe goats or a fall black bear down by the coast. Sigh. [Big Grin]

JD

You poor thing.. [Frown] You will let me know if theres anything I can do to help.. [Big Grin]

All this talk about all of these tantalizing entrees is making my mouth water, keep 'um coming guys.

Doc,

Just curious, what will you be hunting in New Zealand?

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing fancy this year.
Three months of whitetail hunting around home, all weapons. A ten day jaunt to Wyoming in October for muleys. The usual waterfowl, bunnies & coyotes.

Gotta get back up to AK next year !

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mule deer in Idaho and whitetails in Michigan. I'll chase a few squirrels, grouse, and ducks as well.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Rocky Mountain Hunter>
posted
Combo Bull Elk, Cow Elk and Buck Mulie beginning of November.

Cow Elk around Thanksgiving.

Out here in Colorado the DOW is giving Cow Elk tags away like candy. For out of staters they are 1/2 price of bull tags with thousands still left over for purchase.