Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping horns / meat
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone shipped antlers or meat home this year? With the excess baggage charges now in effect, bringing it back with me on the plane is not an option. Any suggestions?

Posts: 24 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
have you looked into shipping 2nd day UPS? IT will easily cost you $2 a pound or more. Its still cheaper to take it on the plane in most instances. Ship your cloths if you have to.

I just broght back 200 pounds of elk meat, cost me $25 on Southwest.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a recent hunt, Continential allowed a third bag (always call before) for $100.00 if < 50 lbs. If dry ice is included, it is an extra $35 for dangerous goods.

I ended up shipping UPS 2nd day for $160.00 for ~35 lbs of meat. No special provisions are needed if <5.5 lbs of dry ice is included. Make the packaging dimensionally small as possible. Unfortunately, it arrived after 4 days and thawed and warm Frowner. MIGHT get the standard $100 insurance. Antlers were of course OK. No capes.

If I had it to do over, I would do the plane, even with the aggravation of tring to wrestle all that into the airport. Or ship it UPS and insure it for the full price of another huntSmiler

I think from now on I am goint to use an ice chest as my suitcase/duffel on the way there. After the hunt, buy a box and ship the clothes and everything back by ground or whatever is cheapest and carry the ice chest and gun as my 2 bags. They even make then now with pull handles and wheels Might get a few funny looks thoughSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an aside, has anyone ever tried the post office?

I seem to have better luck with them than UPS with small business packaging, although UPS is more convenient for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I've shipped horns attached to clean skull plates via US mail several times with no problems. Meat and capes I'd send frozen via FedEx. That also has worked perfectly for me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
The wife and I came back from Quebec with two wheeled coolers full of bear meat and hide. We just paid Southwest the $25 per bag extra and checked it with no trouble (other than dragging all those bags through the airport and to the car...).

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote