THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    14 year old daughter; 4th Shot, 4th Deer (Pic)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14 year old daughter; 4th Shot, 4th Deer (Pic)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted
Well, she did it again!! For the fourth time since she was 11 years old, my daughter killed a deer with one shot. No muss, no fuss. First year, a doe, second, the same, third year, a spike; all with my little '98 Mauser .308 Scout Rifle with a home-cast 172 gr hollow point loaded down to 1880 fps so it wouldn't hurt her.

Then this year I took her to a friends place in West Texas and she whacked this 18 1/2" 8 point!! She used my boyhood treasure, a Ruger M77 Flatbolt chambered in 6mm Rem. wearing an old, reliable 4x Redfield. She hit the buck right at 125 yds. behind the left shoulder as he quartered slightly away. The handloaded 100 gr. Hornady pre-Interlock at 3010 fps passed through the buck and exited the right shoulder leaving a quarter-size hole through the lungs. (Who the heck needs a magnum?)He bucked, took one step, and dropped. To say I'm proud of her is a gross understatement. Neat thing was that we stayed on and just watched deer for another day and she loved every minute of it.

35W

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post

Outstanding!

Congratulations to both of you on a beautiful buck, a beautiful daughter and some beautiful time spent together.

Heck, give her that 6mm and a fresh box of cartridges and (at this rate) she'll not need more ammo until she's 34!

May you both cherish the time you spend afield together.

Mark

Posts: 608 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's great! Congratulations to her.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto Mark!

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
What a good looking buck, give your daughter a big congratulations from us.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I'm still so excited for her I can hardly stand it!

Hey 35W, How much did it cost at the hospital to get your "smile" under control???

Quote:

I forgot to mention that although she's a right handed person, I discovered a few years ago that she's "cursed" with a left dominate eye. Fortunately I discovered this while teaching her to shoot, so I switch her to left hand shooting, and it's no big deal to her now.

Over the years I've done a good bit of Stand Hunting and would guess 20-25% of my shots have been with my off-side. Her ability to shoot from both sides might be an advantage for her at some point.

Quote:

I'm going to look for a left handed bolt rifle for her (when I get a little money!!). I let her shoot her brothers 270 and though recoil was definitely brisk to her, she really liked it. I'll likely get her a 7-08 or 308 though.

Excellent cartridges which are very difficult to beat. Lots of Lefty Actions available today. By the time you are ready to buy, the two of you should have decided which one she likes the best. Huuum, kind of hard to find a bad one.

Quote:

Thanks for letting me share guys!

I do consider it an "obligation" on your part to share such a great memory with the rest of us.

A BIG OLE CONGRATULATIONS to both of you!!!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote