Find
Notify
Tools

BC Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted
Thought some of you would enjoy my buffalo pics. I was drawn in the Pink Mountain area (zone A for those that know where I am talking about).Unlike Roland1 I did not have a tractor to help haul this beast out with! we were 60km from the highway. This was my first buffalo hunt (and probably my last as the odds were 60:1, and those are "good" odds) and am thrilled. He's a mature bull, the tips curve in, with 11" bases and 17-18" long. Not B+C horns but an awesome animal neverless.

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
One more try at a bigger pic killpc

One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
One more pic

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having packed a buffalo head on my back with gear, I don't imagine you backpacked that whole bull out for 60 km. How did you get out (and in for that matter)? Nice animal indeed.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Way to go, trapntrav!!

Looks like you were a ways back alright. I got mine in 2000, about 42 kms from the Outfitters Ranch (Lyn Ross' old camp), near Turnoff Ck. Its a long ways to bring a big animal out.

I imagine you were very near or past the road closure, so were you running a sled in very little snow? I had to abandon the quad a couple days into my hunt and rent a sled, as all the buff were past the closure.

Cheers and Congrats!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One word ... N I C E ! ! !

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
Canuck, I must have been close to where you were, it was under 40km from the ranch (the blueberry first nations owns it now).We had a bit of a pack to the trail/quads but not bad. We rented cabins there and paid the "trespass" fee $175 (ouch Mad). I can't wait to get it mounted cheers

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Great looking trophy. Fur is really nice an uniform.
Really nice picture with the background and frost/snow

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hey trapntrav,

Blueberry FN's were just in their second year of running it when I was there. I think we only paid $150 a head to cross the ranch rather than go around! Wink It was worth it though...going around is an extra couple hours each way.

I heard they have Darwin Watson (Christina Falls Outfitters) looking after the business now. Not sure if thats just rumour though?

The pics of my hunt are posted on Saeed's Hunting Page (here)

I ended up taking a cow on the last day....they were way too skittish, stalking was way too loud (-30 and crusty snow), and there were too many hunters tripping over each other.

Still, one of my favorite hunts ever. Had a blast hunting with my Dad for two weeks.

Congrats again!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trapntrav, very nice!
Pink Mountain, hmm, been awhile since I cast a shadow up there. Beautiful area.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow Trav,
Let me guess, you gutted it threw on a harness and pulled the critter with your own two legs 60 kms, am I right? Wondering if you then personally threw it in the back of the pick-up?
What a crock! Throwing all kinds of smack at another guy about using a tractor when poor old "throw back" you had to walk the ever infamous "a ways" to your Quads!
You may not agree with everyone elses' style of harvesting game but at least they are part of a group that still gets there own and don't mind doing the killing, a group which near as I can tell unfortunately also includes humble, throw back, mountain man you. Steve

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
What a crock! Throwing all kinds of smack at another guy about using a tractor when poor old "throw back" you had to walk the ever infamous "a ways" to your Quads!

??? Confused

Did I miss something? Where did "trapntrav" throw smack at another guy about using a tractor? I don't see a post by trapntrav on the other bison thread at all?

And why the heck is everyone so testy the last couple days?

Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool! Thanks for sharing, thats a big critter.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great picks! Congrats on an awesome animal.

Sixguntech, you might wanna get more than 5 posts before you insult anyone, especially when your insults are off base...

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
Check the second line of his topic starting post.
Maybe I am taking it wrong if so, Trav you have my apologies, I just got done reading all the bull thrown on Roland 1 for his manner of hunting, and get a little sick of people questioning anothers means of killing, it gets old and some folks just want to do their thing and share it. Then along comes a group of blow hards (they know who they are) decide to flame the hell out of a person sharing a common interest. It appears to me most of these rock throwers are probably lawyers, or some other overpaid proffesionals that would lack the cajones to say these types of things to another mans face, and if they built up the courage to actually utter these words would run crying when us less cultered folks throttled them in the nose.
Hunting is an incredibly pesonal experience and in a world where fewer and fewer are involved in killing their own protein, I am willing to applaud any person still stepping outdoors and bringing home the bacon!
I am a butcher/Meat cutter by trade and listening to some of the blow hards who make enough to hunt all over he world at the expense of their raped clients,(read patients, defendents and homeowners) and tell folks, who will never be able to afford to hunt where these fellows do, they can't have an opinion on certain subject matter makes me want to puke!For Christ's sake they don't gut, skin or even prepare any of their own kills.
Yeah I know a lot of off topic stuff,and I don't normally post at all but I have been thinking about doing the Bison hunt thing myself, not for the biggest horns, or the prettiest cape but because it is the cheapest way to put unadulturated protein on my families table. Guess what, I will kill a two year old, 800-1000# cow do as much of the gutting and quartering as the host will allow and proceed to take it home and process it myself.
Am I any better than the reast of these folks, nope.... but I will be damned if I listen to some suit and tie or anyone else for that matter tell me I some how did something unethical or not up to their "high standards".
So Trav if you meant nothing by your statement I am big enough to say I was wrong (probably was any way!) And so ends my self rightous rant, thus spake the super guru!lol Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sixguntech:
Canuck,
Check the second line of his topic starting post.
Maybe I am taking it wrong if so, Trav you have my apologies, I just got done reading all the bull thrown on Roland 1 for his manner of hunting, and get a little sick of people questioning anothers means of killing, it gets old and some folks just want to do their thing and share it. Then along comes a group of blow hards (they know who they are) decide to flame the hell out of a person sharing a common interest. It appears to me most of these rock throwers are probably lawyers, or some other overpaid proffesionals that would lack the cajones to say these types of things to another mans face, and if they built up the courage to actually utter these words would run crying when us less cultered folks throttled them in the nose.
Hunting is an incredibly pesonal experience and in a world where fewer and fewer are involved in killing their own protein, I am willing to applaud any person still stepping outdoors and bringing home the bacon!
I am a butcher/Meat cutter by trade and listening to some of the blow hards who make enough to hunt all over he world at the expense of their raped clients,(read patients, defendents and homeowners) and tell folks, who will never be able to afford to hunt where these fellows do, they can't have an opinion on certain subject matter makes me want to puke!For Christ's sake they don't gut, skin or even prepare any of their own kills.
Yeah I know a lot of off topic stuff,and I don't normally post at all but I have been thinking about doing the Bison hunt thing myself, not for the biggest horns, or the prettiest cape but because it is the cheapest way to put unadulturated protein on my families table. Guess what, I will kill a two year old, 800-1000# cow do as much of the gutting and quartering as the host will allow and proceed to take it home and process it myself.
Am I any better than the reast of these folks, nope.... but I will be damned if I listen to some suit and tie or anyone else for that matter tell me I some how did something unethical or not up to their "high standards".
So Trav if you meant nothing by your statement I am big enough to say I was wrong (probably was any way!) And so ends my self rightous rant, thus spake the super guru!lol Steve

Whether you are right or wrong, I kinda liked it.. thumb

Bill

Posts: 109 | Location: IL | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
sixguntech, WOW what a rant bewildered
For the record I don't think what Roland1 did was "hunting", but on the other hand I could care less what he does or how he does it and I'm sure he feels the same about me. Actually, about the tractor, I simply meant it would have been a way easier of a job. It took us 5hrs to skin and quarter and the 2 of us were exhausted by the end. It was all we could do to roll it side to side. So sixgun, moon take it easy!

posted Hide Post
Trav,
You have my apologies, I was "WRONG" I think I said that above but since some won't read the long rant, I said it again! Any questions?
By the way, that is a hell of a Bison! Probably mostly burger and sausage at that size? Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
...And why the heck is everyone so testy the last couple days?...
Hey Canuck, I was just thinking the exact opposite about two days ago. All the Boards seem to have picked up traffic and everyone was exchanging "opposing" ideas and thoughts without any maliciousness.

Then the Bison flicks started showing up and folks went a bit beyond their normal restrained selves. Sounds like "Bison Fever" to me.

Sure am glad that "I've" always been able to stay out of such heated exchanges. jumping
---

Hey Trapntrav, Sure looks like a fine Trophy to me. Looking at that pile of meat on the ground certainly had to be a real job of getting it out. I feel sure I'd probably have broken a slight sweat "dragging it"! Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Luke,
I completely overlooked your comment, so in my best Tootsie Pop Owl voice I must ask "How many posts are neccesary to begin to insult folks?"lol
Luke, actually I have been a member here for a long time just so happens I switched computers and lost info so I used a new log-on, if you care to investigate more I used to be Fastevo.
My above post states I don't normally post, I enjoy reading alot of stuff here, I jumped Trav's ass, it wasn't baseless, I may have mis-interpreted his comment, but there I was reading up on some folks' bison hunts,my anger about Roland having to take a whole bunch of S#$@, on the topic prior to this one, came over here and the FIRST thing I see is Trav taking what I thought was another cheap shot, he says it wasn't, I don't know him and I take his word for it, hence the apology. Steve