Find
Notify
Tools

338 Win Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted
I have just come into a Tika 338 Win Mag that I plan to set up as my elk and moose rifle. I also plan to use it on bear and maybe whitetail. This caliber seems to be a good fit between my 7MM Rem Mag and 416 Rigby. I have narrowed bullet selections down to two. I may need to shoot both one for elk and one for moose.

Barnes X 160 grain and Barnes TSX 185 grain.

I am not sure if the 160 is too light for the moose or not. I would like to use it for both as it is flatter than the 185. Maybe just shoot the 185's for both. 300-400 yards is about all I would ever attmept to shoot, unless it was truly King Kong.

I am also up in the air on the power for the scope I should put on the rifle. I favor 6x18 or 6x 20, but the low end power may be too much for up close should that opportunity ever arise. One of my best friends thinks a 4.5 x14 or 4 x 16 is plenty.

Anyone have opinions on the Burris LRS series? I have always desired a lit retiticle, but am gun shy on Burris based on past readings here on the AR forum.

Opinions?? Are welcomed

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
185 TSX, no doubt. At 338 WM velocities, this will shoot PLENTY flat for any sane shot at an elk.

I've never been a fan of a the high-power variables simply becuase most game is taken closer rather than farther. Moreover, connecting on 450 yd shots on deer sized game using a 2-7x scope is no problem at all.

Anyway, a 3-9x would be plenty. Also, the high power variables add unncessary weight....

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's doubtful that you would find the 160 X an appropriate performer in terms of accuracy or retained energy. The 185 has a lot of advocates, but I prefer the more conventional bullets. The Nosler 210 Partition is a super performer in .338 and provides just as much or more range than the lighter bullets. I would prefer a 225 or 250 Nosler for moose or big bears.

Like 9.3x62's comments, a high-power variable is both unnecessary and undesirable on a game rifle. What is it you would shoot at with a .338 that you can't see adequately when magnified 9 times? A 3-9 or even 2-7X is fully adequate for a .338 and gives you the FOV you need for shots in dense vegetation where you're likely to find that bear or moose.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used .338s for many years and shot a whole lot of moose with them. I'd feel completely comfortable using nothing but Nosler 210 gr. Partitions; if I'm messing where something might bite back, I use Nosler 250 Partitions.

As far as scopes go, I prefer either iron sights or a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5. If I can't see it at 5x, I figure it's time to sneak a little closer!

Posts: 5763 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned four 338WM's and shot them a bunch. I think if I was tricking out a new one I'd try to settle on a good 225 gr. bullet load and a 2.5x8 Leupold. Most anything would be in trouble at any sane range with a rig like that.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12930 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm not done playing with different loads for my .338 and right now have been using 250gr Woodleigh PP's pushed with a max load of RL22. In my gun they're very accurate.

I've tried 200gr Nosler BT (won't again), the Barnes X. Sierra GameKing in 250gr, Hornady 225gr., and if I hadn't bumped into such a deal on the Woody's I would have been using 210gr Nosler Partitions.

I wouldn't trade my .338 for much of anything! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd shoot anything less than 210's and have lately settled on Barnes 225's--both have good range--250's aren't a bad weight either---good luck--chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 185 TSX in my 338 Win Mag. I don't think you'll need any bigger. I am shooting very tight groups at 200 yards with the 185 TSX.
The 160's are to light in my opinion. Smiler

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1st an foremost I'm am archer these days though it was not always that way with me. I own a Rem Classic 338 WM and have a 4.5x14x40 Nikon Buckmaster mounted on it shooting 250 gr NP Gold. This setup is devistating on elk/moose size animals!
It shoots off bags .75" 5 shot groups @ 100 yds and right at 1" @ 200 yds.
I'm taking it with me to Namibia in August.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
My 185 gr. Barnes ammo is reloads. As far as a scope a 3X9X40 Leupold is just the ticket. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
I have an A-Bolt .338 and shoot 230 failsafe for everything. My gun likes the load and I like the results. I've used it on animals from 50-2000 lbs in Africa, and deer, antelope and hogs here in the states. Only bullet I've ever recovered weight in at 229 grains.

My buddy has a Tikka and shoots handloads from it. He has settled on the 210 gr Nosler partition as his only load. On our trip to Africa, it accounted for gemsbok, kudu and waterbuck, and it has also taken elk here in the states.

As for scopes, no experience with the Burris. I think it's hard to beat a 3X9X40 leupold for the money.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have settled on the 225 gr woodleigh for my recenlt aquired .338 winnie..................if I need more bullet weight than 225gr I think I might need a .416 Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 185gr just so you could get it in the Tripple shock and run a greater chance of getting a tight shooter. I use 225gr X's that I bought one hundred of two years ago and love how they work. As far as the scope, mine wears a 3-9 3200, and I'd planned on a 1.5-6x for it originally. My other 338 wears a straight 4x and shoots the 210gr partition. It will get a 2-7x when money allows.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Why not get a nice middle of the road, flat shooting 210 grain Barnes TSX boat tail? Very nice bullet weight for the 338.

IMO, the 160 is just a bit light for the 338.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Why not get a nice middle of the road, flat shooting 210 grain Barnes TSX boat tail? Very nice bullet weight for the 338.

IMO, the 160 is just a bit light for the 338.

Excellent idea abut a 210 3-Shock. In fact, from 210-225 grains in 3-Shock form should be plenty.

Now, about the scope I would suggest a matte Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well I've gotta put my 2 cents in on this topic and owning a .338 Win Mag qualifies me to do so.
If you want to shoot light bullets like the 160-180 grainers then why a .338?
the .338 really shines by being able to throw some weight and do it with style and ease. Mine is shooting 225 grain bullets so well I am about to squeal with joy. ( 3 shots at 100 yards .264" !!!) Also don't over scope it! Moose are not always found at long range, elk too sometimes they don't follow the plan and walk right up on you at 20 yards or so, then what are you doing with a 6-18 power scope or even a 4-12 power......nonsense. A 3-9 or 3.5-10 power is bordering on too much scope for the gun, my god what if you were charged by a bear like so many folks on this forum, however would you manage hitting that blur in your overpowered scope!

Alright sorry for the slander and sarcasm, I'm in a mood!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 3.5x10x50 nikon on one of my 338s.It an awesome combo.I have shot deer from 3 yards to 425 yards with winchester 200 gr power points.I like the 225 gr bullets if your hunting elk.If your in moose country there are most likely bear a good place to use 250 gr partitions.My 338s shoot them all good.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a .338 W. Mag., Ruger 77, since 1974. Killed several elk and a couple of Mule deer, when opportunity arose during elk season.

My alltime favorite load, is 210 grains Nosler Partition, a case full of Norma MRP, and my 2x7 Redfield. My rifle, when I do my part, off the bench, shoots 1 3/4" five shot groups at 200 (two hundred) yards.

So far, longest shot at an elk was about 415 yards. I would not have taken that except I was "benchrested" across a boulder and the bull was just grazing peacefully in a meadow. Had the 'scope cranked up to 7x and that was more than adequate.

95% of the time I have the Redfield cranked down to 2x, as there are lots of trees, brush, etc., in most of the elk country in which I hunt... and have hunted, in Colo., Wyom., Mont., and of course, Idaho. It's mighty easy to crank it up to 7x, if I need that 'cross canyon shot.

I would not go under the 210 grains bullets, nor would I have a 'scope any more powerful than 3x9. 2x7 works for me.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Not to beat on the same drum, but I would also recommend 210-225 grain bullets and a more moderate scope. I shoot 225 grain Barnes TSXs or Hornady Interbonds in my .338, which is equipped with a 3-9X40 scope. This combination has proved deadly on a dozen African critters ranging from jackal to kudu. IMO, light bullets negate the benefits of the .338. If you want to shoot 160-180 grain bullets, just get a .300 Win.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BHW:
People make comments on subjects based on their experiences & perspectives. With that in mind I'll submit mine. When I think of hunting, I don't think about deer, antelope, etc. although I realize that is what the majority of the guys on the board here concentrate on.
Firstly, I can't see the use of a .338 for deer, at least in most cases. We aren't speaking of deer hunting on Kodiak Island here. However, since your question revolves around the .338, I'll make my comments. For your use, I'd seriously look at a 210 or 225 gr. Partition or, preferably, a 225 gr. Northfork - my preference - more accurate for me. I use this bullet for elk, moose, etc.
For a scope, I can't see the use of anything more powerful than a 2-7x variable. I use a Leupold 1.5-5x Vari X-III. We hunt moose in areas that can be very brushy and bears are a possibility. We occasionally hunt elk on Afognak Island - large bears there too. On our last elk hunt, we ran into a brownie up close & personal. My partner had a 6x scopeon his rifle & he later told me that all he could see was hair. He didn't know what part of the animal he was looking at. He has since put a lower power scope on his rifle - a fixed power. I couldn't convince him to get a lower power variable but..
Anyway, these are my thoughts for whatever they're worth. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'll throw in here too. I don't understand why you would want to go any lighter than the 210grNP out of a .338wm. The extra 150fps will not flatten your trajectory much & the drop off in energy will be greater once you pass 300yds. FWIW, a 3.5x10 is plenty of scope for any big game hunting out to 400yds.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BHW
Go with the heavier bullet. If your in Moose country you're probably in Bear county. Go to a lower power scope so you know what that brown hair your looking at belongs too.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote