New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Tequila
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Just to make sure we have complete coverage of all the spirits...

My favorite used to be Sauza Gold, until I went to Mexico and learned what good Tequila tasted like.

My new favorite is Milles Ochocientos (1800).

Yours?

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
Have anyone eaten that little larvae thing that is in the bottom of the bottles?

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Funny you should ask. Once when I was much much younger a friend of mine purchased a case of Mont Alban airline bottles. Each one of these little bottles had a grub in it. We empty each of the little bottles to collect the grubs and then we filled up a tumbler with all the grubs topping it off with tequila. Then for the whopping sum of $5 (I think) I slammed the entire thing! I don't recall anything "special" happening.
Hell I just figured I was getting my protein with my booze, a healthy thing.

Todd E

[This message has been edited by Todd E (edited 03-09-2002).]

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Many times, mainly from Mezcal,but not all at once.

There was a brand of Tequila in Mexico that had a "pickled" scorpion at the bottom. Never had the guts to eat that one.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
In my case, the best tequila is the tequila left in the bottle!

That stuff, unless in a big maragrita, is on my "black-list."

Couple bad memories, much like Southern Comfort in my younger days. Don't drink either of those now.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
There is NO such thing....once was enough.
Dan

<ovis>
posted
C"mon guys, there's no BAD Tequila, juat some that's better than others. The Mexican micro distilleries turn out some spendy but really good stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dan.

Sauza Gold: then mix with Champagne. You will never drink the stuff again, and save yourself RUMagnum hangovers...

gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
Try this for breakfast you tequilla lovers. Pancake mix, replace water with tequilla. Cook as usual. Sprinkle with lemon and salt to taste. When done right, they will take your breath away. Good luck!

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Patron is my favorite hallucinogen.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Aquavit,
I am with you. Patron gold is what convinced me that there are better things to drink than Scotch.

Chuck Graber

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Antonio>
posted
Guys, here are some words from a local:

There are basically two types of tequila, the (coarser) white one and the (finer) reposado, which has been aged in oak barrels. Today there are literally hundreds of Mexican tequila producers, now that tequila prices (actually blue agave prices) have gone through the roof. Blue agave, the cactus from which tequila has to be distilled to deserve the name, is grown in only a handful of Mexican states (Jalisco, Guanajuato, Michoacan and Tamulipas among the few). Each plant takes around 7 years to mature and is used only once. Real tequila has a denomination of origin clause, just like French cognac, so beware of fakes done with cheaper varieties of the mezcal cactus.

I personally like several brands of reposado, among them:

Herradura Reposado
Don Julio
Don Alejo
Porfidio

In white tequila I favor Pueblo Nuevo and Sauza.

I have introduced tequila to Africa. It makes a great drink for celebrating after a successful safari. Just, like with any alcoholic drink, do not drink too much of it, or you will dance with the trackers all night...

Regards, Antonio

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
El Tigre (Matamoros)

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
1800!!! Especially when you keep it in the freezer! Nuthin' better!

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Whatever kind it was that stripper was pouring in her belly button...

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
<hunting1>
posted
Hola Antonio,
Bien tequilas, I agree totaly on your selection for repasado. Atodo madre! The Cabo Wabo Repasado is the bomb as well.

For you Nortern guys, which I once was, there is no worm in tequila it is in mexcau. I spelled that wrong I am sure. Good shooting!

<Antonio>
posted
There are now about 600 different registered brands of tequila in Mexico, although only about 250 are commercialized..., so take your pick.

Antonio