Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: nosler BT too explosive, almost
 Login/Join

posted
I've been shooting 130 gr NBT's out of my .270 lately because I get awesome groups with them. They work plenty good on white tails where the norm for me is neck shots. I did shoot a deer at just over 300 yards behind the shoulder last year with them and the bullet performed perfectly. It exited and the deer only made it 10 yards with a very large blood trail leading up to it.
I do have to say that the NBT confused me just the other night. I was calling yotes and shot one in the neck at 185 yards. Of course this shot ruined it's night, but when I got up to the coyote, it had about a 6 to 8 inch hole where it had exploded. There appeared to be no exit wound. I'm shooting Federal premiums loaded with the NBT's, and I'm not sure what kind of velocity I'm getting out of my 22" barrel, but it was a little bit shocking to see on that yote. Maybe I hit the very tip of the shoulder up close to the neck, but it's not like a small yote is a super heavy duty animal. Who knows...maybe I had a dud bullet on that shot...

Posts: 27 | Location: TX | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
I Won't use them again. I shot about 6-7 springbuck with them this spring in Africa. The results were: animals were blown in two, Shoulder blown off and some really ugly holes. I felt bad about the wounds so, I switched to a 223 with Fmj for the rest of the hunt. Now... I was Using a Magnum rifle...I think going slower they would have been fine...I won't use them in a magnum in the future.

Urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you who want to complain about what is wrong with someone elses equiptment," using a mega magnum at 30-30 ranges", what do you care. One deer, one shot, on carcus= sucess. I normally hunt where shots over 300 yards are the norm. I was on the escape route of a drive and this deer suprized me showing up were it did. Next time I'll go home and get a little dinky 30-30 before I shoot. I'm not really worried about damage, since I don't really care for entreals. The front shoulder, if it would be hit, is only good for jerky and ground meat anyway. To each their own. I wasn't complaining about the hole, but rather bragging.

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The replies are correct. Too much velocity a 7mm 08 or 7x57mm would have produced better results. I grew up in PA and lived in the middle of the Rolling Rock Country Clu. Now in New Mexico that STW would have a place but a 6.5x55 handles all the chores out here.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure sounded like you were complaining to me. I see a lot of guys (at the range) that think they need at least a 338RUM for 75yd and under whitetails.
I use the 150gr BT's out of a 30-06, and shoot the same kind of ranges you do. When they (deer) surprise you up close the BT does do some awesome dammage.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

mete wrote: "I wish they would publish what impact velocities the bullets were designed for. "

Nosler does indeed. Nosler recommends the hunting weight BTs be driven no more than 3100 fps MV and for game up to the 350-400 pound range.

Where have you seen/heard this?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I shot a doe saturday with 150 gr nosler BTs going 3350 out of my 7mm STW. the shot was about 80-100 yards, slightly quartering towards me.

Had the same shot, same cartridge, same bullet, at roughly the same velocity on a mid-sized doe, but not quite the same results. My bullet made a grapefruit sized crater out of the shoulder I shot into and barely penetrated the inards. The deer hobbled off 75 yards or so before it croaked.

I realize now that a Ballistic Tip bullet is better suited for slower speeds. So instead of loading down, buying a 7mm-08 or something similar, I just sold off the remaining BT's and have used up what I had loaded on varmints and paper. Been having good luck with 162gr Hornady btsp's. Very accurate out of my rifle, and so far perfect performance.......so far. I've got some 160gr Partitions, but hate to sling them around at paper and varmints, too pricey for that.

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. The strange thing is that another buddy took an identical shot on a much larger muley (200+ lbs.) two years ago with his .308 loaded with 165 BTs at 2,760 f.p.s.

Would you believe that bullet went all the way through and exited out the front of the chest, literally spraypainting the foliage red for 10 feet in front of that deer?

Therefore, only thing I could conclude about that Texada Island fiasco is that it must have been my shooting angle which directed the bullet out toward one side. I've personally put one of those 165s diagonally through a whitetail, from behind the shoulder to the hip on the other side, so I know they penetrate well and pack a hell of a wallop.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, I'd say they are a bit explosive. This is what the varmint BTs do on a coyote at 406yds when you place one too far back!

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Yea, I'd say they are a bit explosive. This is what the varmint BTs do on a coyote at 406yds when you place one too far back!

MtnHtr

Yucky poo!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote