Notify
Tools

External Frame Backpack suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
Well CRAP!
I have been loading my pack with weights to help with conditioning for an up-coming Elk hunt. Yesterday the bag ripped out. I now have an excuse to buy a new pack/frame.

Please give suggestions of good and bad if you've used them. I'm leaning to the Alaskan somethin'- or- other, from Cabelas.
Has anyone tried the Dwight Schu Mega something, also in Cabelas?
It will be used for packing in for week or more hunts, and bringing out the meat. Size IS important in this respect, but comfort is key!

Please be brutally honest, name names and sources.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for the last month or so, and the three that have been recommended constistently are

The Kifaru Longhunter (www.kifaru.net)
The bull-pac (www.bullpacs.com)
The Badlands (www.badlandspacks.com)

The Badlands is an internal pack, however. I'm going to grit my teeth and order a Kifaru longhunter this week. The primary reason is the rifle holder gadget. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you found your dream pack. I would agree that packing out an elk quarter would be a bear on the Kifaru. However, I have not quartered an elk in 8 years; I debone them right off the carcass. When packing out an 800 lb bull, I feel no compelling need to carry an additional 150 lbs or so of bones for 10 miles!

For packing out heavy loads off trail, I believe the Kifaru would hold it's own, but as always, there is more than one way to skin a cat'. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thank You Vek for the link. They really did have some smokin' deals! I called them this morning and bought the last one they had.

Dutch, Thanks for your comments too. I had been considering both the Kifaru and the Bull-pac but hadn't heard of the Badlands. I heard from a few people that the Kifaru pack was comfortable for the backpacking portion of a hunt but the frame wasn't all it's cracked up to be when packing out elk quarters. The Badlands doesn't appeal to me as the meat would have to go inside the main bag. This may make you moving bear bait later when you're not thinking about it!

I have yet to hear a bad comment about the Bull-pac it's just expensive.

The Dana pack that Vek recommended was purchased for just over $130, I can't even get the Bull-pac frame for that!

When this first came up I was searching the forum tryingto find the thread about what worked for people and what didn't. Couldn't find it so I had to ask over again. Truthfully very few people backpack in and pack out the meat on thier backs. It's not as easy but it's enjoyable. When it's over!

Thanks again.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Dwight Schu and have used it for hunting in elk country. I'm real happy with it. The frame is actually a polymer, not aluminum. One of the benefits of the polymer frame is that it flexes, making it one of the most comfortable packs I've used. I don't think the frame would be capable of carrying as much weight as an aluminum one, if your using the frame alone to lash quarters to. But I think it'd be more then adequate.

Posts: 506 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Well one more thing to add to this thread. If you are looking for good treatment check out the link provided by Vek to MaineMountainWorks and also : moosejaw

Matt at MMW called and said that when they pulled the pack I ordered out to ship it they checked it over and found the shoulder straps gone.(thankfully he checked it out) He then said that if I wanted it he'd send it to me for $50. MMW no longer has distributorship for Dana products so he couldn't get me the straps. Enter Moosejaw. I called them to see if they could still get the straps as they are a dealer. "If you can hold on a second I'll call them and see" was the response followed by two options and a price of $15. So although I had to pay shipping twice I'm still getting the pack w/ upgraded straps for around $75. This is what I wanted to tell everyone. If you're shopping these are two sources that treated me well, and will probably be getting my return business.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I need a pack for an upcoming sheep hunt. It's purpose would be for a bivy out of base camp and to haul meet to a horse accesable area. Now that the one you recommended is gone, what do you know about the one that's left, the "Dana Design K2 Pack, Long Bed, Regular, Green"?

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm of no help on a personal level but I'll give you a couple links I found when trying to find out more myself. Interactive Gear Guy web page another loadmaster review

Un-fortuneatly the external frame packs are not all that popular with the general backpackers. Most of the new packs are internal frame. The "Longbed" sounds like a bigger version of one of the reviews above, and you may be able to find out more on the 'net. Truthfully the way I was treated I'd strongly recommend calling Matt at MMW and just telling him you heard about his shop from us and you want to know more. He was very polite and helpful.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I phoned Matt and have ordered the other Dana pack. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigNate,

Check out Barney's Sports in Alaska. Barney's is unique in that they designed the external packs & frames and have them made to their specs. The folks there are hunters and designed the equipment for hunters....a point I think is important. They also have alot of other excellent equipment that you should have a look at.

BTW -- Barney's external frames and packs are just about standard equipment for the guides up there.

I was able to visit their store in 2002 and their equipment is excellent.

http://www.barneyssports.com/itemDescription.jsp?depid=2&prodid=283

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Gracias Amigo!