New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 3/4" in a 3" shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't know if this belongs here but I couldn't find a shotgun fourm, but it does have to do with deer hunting so here it goes.

This year I plan on taking a 12ga. break-action single shot w/ rifled barrel. My question is on the barrel it says " 3in." Can I shoot 2 3/4" slugs out of it as well or will it screw up the rifling in the barrel?

Cory

Still saving up for a .500NE double rifle(Searcy of course)

Posts: 189 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
It will work, but accuracy may be the pits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
will their be any damage to the rifling?

Cory

Posts: 189 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THere is no reason at al to worry. The 2 3/4 in inch slugs will cause NO HARM what so ever. As to the accuracy, well every gun has it's own likes and dislikes. I have seen many 3" chambered slug guns that shot better with the shorties and many the other way too. Got to try them and see what YOUR gun LIKES. If your gun likes the 23/4" or if you prefer the lower recoile then use them and worry about finding a big buck, not about any damage, the gun will not suffer for it.

Posts: 43 | Location: Western NY | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.

Cory

one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem at all. I shoot 2 3/4" Lightfields in my 3" 870. I get 2" groups at 100 yards and they put the hammer on deer. I can't see putting up with the extra recoil of 3" slugs. Heck, I'd rather shoot my .375 off the bench any day than 3" slugs.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote