New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Switch
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok well I switched from the crappy Remington Core Lokts to the Federal Premium Nosler Partition. I am pleased with the change in accuracy. I shot this 3 shot group tonight at 100 yards. Gun is a Remington 700 BDL 7mm Mag. I used the 160 Nosler Partition. What do ya'll think? Nathan

-

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
The three shots are a bit to the left and also low for my taste. If your not shooting much over 100 yds however and it's big game your all set.

You could download the free program "PointBlank" at www.huntingnut.com It will show you that being just a inch or two high at 100 yds lets the bullet hit on at 200 yds and it's pretty good past 250 in fact. A rifle zero'd at 100 yds has the bullet pointing down after that.

I do my final zero work with the rifle hand held. I hold the forend with my hand and rest that wrist against the bag. This is close to a real field position.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard Core Lokt's described in a lot of different ways but crappy hasn't been one of them. Why do you think they're crappy???

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99, I'm guessing that he was shooting to determine the accuracy potential of that load.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason why I switched was because I felt that the core lokts were more inconsistent in my gun as far as accuracy goes. Do you think they are not as accurate? I think they are not as consistent in the way they make them.. hence maybe the lack in precision. The Noslers are pretty much dead on, it is a little left, but that is because I didnt fully sight it in. You are right about being low, I think I will raise the group about an inch or two and move it an inch to the left, then see what kind of groups I get. When shooting for good groups, do you hold the end of the barrel to keep it from rising up before the bullet exits, or is this not really a factor? In other words, how should I hold the gun to get the best precision and accuracy? Thanks for the help, Nathan

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Your group is acceptable, but low left, the group should be 1" or 2" high and dead center at 100 yards. Keep your hand off the barrel, it will cause the bullets pint of impact to change. Sporter weight hunting barrels can throw shots wildly if touched while shooting the rifle. The barrel must be free to vibrate as it pleases to get an accurate assesment of it's grouping ability

Remington Cor-Lokt bullets can vary as much as 5 grains in weight. I purchased 500, 165 grain .308 diameter cor-lokt bullets and weighed evey one. Only 50 of those 500 weighed 165 grians all the rest were above or below the listed weight by as much as two and a half grains. The Remington Cor-Lokt bullets I used and recovered from game mushroomed perfectly. I no longer use Remington Cor-lokt bullets, but they do work great on game.

Hunting bullets are not made to the exacting specs as benchrest bullets no matter who makes them including Nosler. Hunting bullets are designed to mushroom to twice their original size on impact. Accuracy is my first order of business and would use the hunting bullet that will perform as it should, mushroom to twice it's original size and hold together.

The only way to know if your rifle likes a given bullet is try them. Any hunting rifle that will print MOA groups will harvest any game animal out to 350 yards. Your three shot group looks like it is just MOA and should do the job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Corelokt is far, very far, from crappy. You will not go wrong with the Nosler Part.

Accuracy of the projectile, as well as the rifle itself, is almost always # 4 or 5 on the importance scale.

ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well sorry about my harsh words about the Core Lokt. I bought them in the beginning because they were the cheapest. I do know that the bullet performs well on game. I agree that it does, however, I am sort of picky and I like hunting partly because I think of it as a game to try and be as accurate as I could be. I guess the core lokts might not be as accurate in my gun. Usually it would shoot two really close then throw one a little ways away. Like an inch or so. The Federal's with Nosler bullets seem to perform a little better in the accuracy department although it could be better. I am going out to the range again soon to try and beat my group. I would like a sub moa group. Thanks for the help though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Nathan,

Sorry I am a little sensitive when it comes to reports of accuracy.
I am always, always much more worried with terminal performance then with accuracy, providing accuracy is exceptable. I will take a 2" bullet that will kill before a .4" one that is susbect. You are on the right track with the Nosler as this is as good as it gets in a 7mag.

ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey one more question, what about the Federal with the 165 grain Sierra Game King bullet? How accurate is this bullet? I know the terminal performance is not as good as the Partition but how about accuracy? Thanks for the help, Nathan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't move it to the left, you shot left! move it to the right and up a tad...Corelokts perform on game and they never have been overly accruate but they normally shoot well enough and you did not say how they shot...

The Noslers are shooting well and they are a better bullet so if it ain't broke don't fix it...make your adjustment and go hunting...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote