New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope choice for an elk/bear gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Depending on what cartridge works best for me, I could be using a 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, or 338 RUM. What scope and power range would you choose? Also, what kind and style of rings/bases would you recommend?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
I use a .338-06 for elk. When I get around to hunting bear, I use it too. It has weaver mounts( I started with them and never found a reason to change.) I use a Simmons Aetec 2 1/2 x 10. Reason being I find this to be a superior scope for the money invested. The 2 1/2 is good for when you are in the dark timber while the 10 power will still get you that shot out across the ridge. My $.02

swede

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1.5x5 burris on my 300WM that has been all I need. Elk are pretty big. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of 3x9's on my hunting rifles they seem to be the most all around. I like them with mil dots or balistic plex. makes the long shots easy. I also have 1.5 to 5s and 4s on my woods rifles but the 3x9 are abit more veristile.

Posts: 19602 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use one of either 35 Whelen, 300 Win, or 375 H&H for these animals. I prefer a 2x7 or 2.5x8 for heavy timber hunting, but my 300 Win currently carries a 3x9.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cartridges you've listed are more than enough
for elk. One the subject of scopes, dont buy a cheep one! I realy like the leopold 3x9 on my 7mm
3 power is great in the timber and gathers alot of light. I know pepole useing 2x7's and 4 1/2 x 12's and they seem to be happy with then.I use 2 piece weaver mounts, I've been told 1 piece mounts are beter but I have never had any problems with mine so I never changed them. I fell
on my rifle during a deer hunt in Idaho and didnt want to resite it in that day so I used my backup
rifle, it has a one piece scope mount that covers
alittle of the top of the bolt and found akward
to load. probably just becus I'm use to how open the 2 piece mounts on the top feed magazine.

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Nebraska -- I use a 4 X 16 Burris Signature on a .340 Wby, a 3 X 9 Redfield on another .340 Wby, a 4.5 X 14 Leupold and two .358 STA's. They have all served me well. I use those rifles for Elk and in Alaska. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
a fixed 4 or around there, nothing higher then a 2X7. Who the hell would want a large scope on their rifle.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
My .338 Mag carries a Leupold 2x-7x. I use it for elk and anything else. Sometimes in elk country you need the higher power, and sometimes you need a very low power for the cedars and timber. The 2x7 Leupold is about perfect for that type of gun. Someday when I go to Alaska for a big brown bear, I'll also use it !!!!

bowhunt

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Nebraska
IMHO, the Leupold Vari-X III 1.5x-5x in a set of Redfield type rings and a one piece Redfield style base is about as good as it gets. The Redfield style rings have been made in a thin metal, this is not what I'd use. I like my rings and base of a very solid material. Have a good day.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
my 35 Whelen carries a Weaver V3 (1x3). Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be thinking Burris 1.5-5/6X Signature Scope or a 2-7X Compact. I really like Burris scopes, and I can't imaging you will be using much power over 4x for either.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a bear hunter, but I hunt moose in bear country. At least in Alaska, there is a good chance to hunt in forested areas where shots could be close. For my type of hunting, a low-power scope from 1.75-6x, 2-7x, and 2.5-8x are my choices. I imagine a 3-9x would be OK, but there is not too much difference when your turn the power ring from 8x (2.5-8x) to 9x (3-9x).

My .338WM has a 2.5-8x, and I set it to 2.5x when hunting, just incase I walk too close to a bear or moose, then crank it to 6x or so if I have to shoot at moose from 200- to 300 yards.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
The 2.5-8 Leupold has been far my favorite on most rifles including several 375's. I have just recently started using a 3.5-10 Leupold on my 300 win and really like it. I don't feel handicaped by the 3.5 setting and really like the 10x for long shots. I will have to hunt with it this next season for the final verdict. By the way, I always carry my rifles on the lowest setting to make it easier to aquire a sudden moving target!!

Jarrett

[ 03-04-2003, 09:59: Message edited by: Finley ]

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnification for hunting either species is not too important -- as long as the scope has a low enough range to give you a good field of view when the shooting situations may be close or quick. The 3.5-10X is as high as I would go, with a slightly lower power a bit more desirable. Other than keeping the power range low enough, keep the scope fairly compact. Use nothing larger than a 40mm objective, with a 36mm, 33mm, or even 28mm even better (at the lower powers you would use during twighlight, the smaller objectives still give you all the useable exit pupil you need.) Also, there is no need of an adjustable objective on a game hunting scope -- it just ads weight, complexity, expense, another potential place for moisture to enter, and is sure to be set at the wrong distance when game actually presents itself.

Actually, the good old classic straight 4x would be hard to beat and is a tad more dependable than most variables.

Good luck!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my .340 weatherby I have a 4-16x50 Bushnell Elite 4200 on it. I love the scope and it has performed great. For close shots I can crank it down to 4. For longer shots I can crank it up..I'm not limited. I guess I would make my decision based on what shots are you most likely to have more often...

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Buliwyf>
posted
Zeiss 1.5-6
Talley Base & Rings

one of us
posted Hide Post
Burris 3x9. On all of my rifles. I hunt elk and bear with a 7mm rem mag!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote