New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC and Texas Game Wardens
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought some of you might be interested in this and didn't know where else to post it...if it doesn't belong here I'm sure a moderator will move it. This is where some of the money raised form the DSC Convention is spent...and is money well spent.

Karl

DALLAS (April 15, 2014)—Dallas Safari Club (DSC) is pleased to announce it is renewing life insurance policies for every game warden in Texas in 2014.

Currently there are 532 game wardens in Texas.

DSC has purchased the insurance policies and covered 100 percent of the premiums since 2005. Each policy is worth $10,000. Over the years, these policies have paid tens of thousands to the families of Texas game wardens who died in the line of duty.

“These policies are an expression of support for those who serve on the front lines of conservation in our home state,” said Ben Carter, DSC executive director. “We hope they provide some peace of mind for officers and their families, and we pray the coverage is never needed again.”

“We could not be more grateful for the concern and support that our partners at DSC have extended to our game wardens and their families,” said Carter Smith, executive director of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. “DSC members have always recognized the inherent dangers our officers face each and every day working to protect our lands, waters, fish, wildlife, property and lives.”

Funding for DSC’s annual sponsorship of these insurance policies is generated through the organization’s annual convention and expo. Held each January, the 2015 event is slated for Jan. 15-18 at the Dallas Convention Center and Omni Hotel Dallas. Visit

Karl Evans

Posts: 2825 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Class Act! tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DSC is THE role model for all hunting & conservation organizations, IMO...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
DSC is THE role model for all hunting & conservation organizations, IMO...

I could not agree more joester. I did not know of this arrangement between DSC and the TX game wardens so I appreciate the heads up. Kudos to DSC. They'll be getting some of my money, knowing this.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That's impressive. Kudos to the DSC.

Jim

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston and Seguin, Texas | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
tu2

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's really awesome - didn't know about this, thanks for sharing. Great organization. Happy to be a (very small) part.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It is great in at least two aspects. First DSC making such an effort and Second, proving that not All hunters view Game wardens as an enemy.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl - Very noble effort by DSC and you in providing this important element. One thing you mentioned, a lot of dollars have been paid out to G & F officers killed in the line of duty. Could you elaborate a little on this as I didn't realize that such a large number of G & F officers had died in Texas protecting our outdoor interests. Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry: In my opinion the death of even one game warden in the line of duty is too many, but to answer your question...there have been 4 deaths in the line of duty (that I am aware of) in the last 10 years. I believe the Texas Game Wardens Association has a website that gives the circumstances of these unfortunate deaths if you are interested in learning more.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2825 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This information is from Wikipedia.

Game Warden Harry Raymond
Sunday, September 14, 1919
Drowned

Captain Joe Williams
Sunday, September 14, 1919
Drowned

Game Warden Dawson R. Murchison
Tuesday, December 20, 1938
Gunfire

Game Warden Richard Moore Wynne
Monday, November 1, 1948
Automobile accident

Game Warden Gus A. Engeling
Friday, December 14, 1951
Gunfire

Game Warden Claude Keller
Wednesday, February 22, 1956
Aircraft accident

Game Warden John David Murphree
Sunday, December 8, 1963
Gunfire

Game Warden Joe Marshall Evans
Thursday, May 6, 1965
Automobile accident

Game Warden Lloyd Dean Gustin
Monday, March 25, 1968
Drowned

Game Warden Ronnie L. Germany
Sunday, July 29, 1973
Gunfire

Game Warden James Eugene Daughtrey
Friday, December 8, 1978
Automobile accident

Game Warden Franklin Bruce Hill
Saturday, May 26, 1990
Drowned

Game Warden William Barry Decker
Saturday, May 26, 1990
Drowned

Game Warden Michael Charles Pauling
Thursday, August 2, 2001
Vehicular assault

Game Warden Wesley Warren Wagstaff
Tuesday, August 5, 2003
Automobile accident

Game Warden Justin Hurst
Saturday, March 17, 2007
Gunfire

Game Warden Teyran (Ty) Patterson
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Drowned

Game Warden George Harold Whatley Jr.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Heart attack

These records are from the Texas Game, Fish and Oyster commission and Texas Parks & wildlife Department.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
This is just a feel-good PR stunt, albeit an effective one. Game wardens are unionized government employees and as such they have EXCELLENT benefit packages, including GENEROUS life insurance policies. Ten grand is a drop in the bucket compared to what the state's insurance plan pays in the event of an officer's death. I'd be willing to bet that the payout is in the millions if it's a "killed in the line of duty situation."

I don't mean to imply that the state insurance benefits are excessive or that the officers aren't entitled to them. It's a dangerous job and the officers most certainly deserve the peace of mind that a good insurance policy provides. I'm merely pointing out that the state insurance benefits exist and widows and orpahans of slain officers aren't going to starve out in the street. The DSC program reminds me of the sleazy "buy a Happy Meal and we'll donate a portion of the proceeds to the Children's Miracle Network" sales pitch.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe you are correct on you assertions.

I do not think Game Wardens in Texas belong to a Union. I may be wrong, but I have never heard of such at least here in Texas.

K. Evans can you or someone else confirm or deny this?

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Good point Rand'll. I based my statement on examples in Wisconsin. One of them was a sheriff who was the friend of a friend of mine and the other was my brother in law who worked for the DOT. If the wardens in TX are not unionized or othewise have State-provided insurance benefits I will stand corrected.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea as to any state provided insurance, but Texas is not a overly friendly state in regards to unions.

I know when I worked at the Fort Worth Zoo, which was a city job, the only unions in the city were fire and police.

Unions have a tough time down here.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Each policy is worth $10,000.

Karl,

I thought my warden told me they were $100,000 policies? I could be wrong. Just wondering.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigasanelk:
This is just a feel-good PR stunt, albeit an effective one. Game wardens are unionized government employees and as such they have EXCELLENT benefit packages, including GENEROUS life insurance policies. Ten grand is a drop in the bucket compared to what the state's insurance plan pays in the event of an officer's death. I'd be willing to bet that the payout is in the millions if it's a "killed in the line of duty situation."
I don't mean to imply that the state insurance benefits are excessive or that the officers aren't entitled to them. It's a dangerous job and the officers most certainly deserve the peace of mind that a good insurance policy provides. I'm merely pointing out that the state insurance benefits exist and widows and orpahans of slain officers aren't going to starve out in the street. The DSC program reminds me of the sleazy "buy a Happy Meal and we'll donate a portion of the proceeds to the Children's Miracle Network" sales pitch.

Bigasanelk: Not a PR stunt at all, we saw a need and did what we could do to help. I don't know what benefits state employees are entitled to where you live (and if they have good benefits, good for them). If you would like you can look at the link I've included and see for yourself what benefits Texas Game Wardens are given and what options they have regarding additional life insurance. I'm pretty sure that the families of the Wardens covered by the policy provided by DSC were happy to have had the coverage.

Look here for benefits...
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/pu...wd_lf_h0800_1114.pdf

Karl

Karl Evans

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Nicely done DSC.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As a active duty state law enforcement officer...all I can say is KUDOS to DSC for this thoughtful gesture. In reality it is irrelevant what benefits the state may provide upon a LODD, the fact that a private entity has reached out to recognize the "Ultimate Sacrifice" is certainly a testament to their character as an organization. As far as the amount whether it be $10 or $10 million, there again it is inconsequential, as the thought is what counts. I suspect the widows and other surviving loved ones never in a million years thought somebody from the "private sector" would take it upon themselves to bestow a "gift" to them in the aftermath of tragedy. I can tell you firsthand, I have looked into the eyes of widows and surviving children more than once.....it will absolutely tear your heart out! Thanks DSC for being a "True American!"

Troopers Ride Alone.

Posts: 12 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
thanks to the DSC.... I'm a life member...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be willing to bet that the payout is in the millions if it's a "killed in the line of duty situation."

How much do you want to bet?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote