THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    DIY elk hunt in Wyoming - advice appreciated.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY elk hunt in Wyoming - advice appreciated.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to go on my first elk hunt in wyoming in a couple of years. i've put in for a preference point this year, and will do the same next year, then hope to draw the following year.

my goal is as follows:

my hunting partner and i plan on driving to our destination and packing our equipment on our back. we're planning on getting 3-7 miles off the road, hunting along the way. Archery season. neither of us are particular about shooting trophy bulls, and to be quite frank, neither of us will judge the experience by whether we kill an animal. the entire adventure is what we appreciate.

the extent of my hunting experience has been chasing whitetails in michigan - not nearly the same terrain. my hunting partner has been on a guided elk hunt in BC, and a couple of drop hunts in Colorado.

we both understand that hiking in and out is going to be very physically taxing - more than anything we've done in the past. we're both in good shape, running and lifting weights on a regular basis, though we understand that even more conditioning will be required before we go.
we plan on traveling light - dried foods, ultra light 2 man tent, ultra light sleeping bags, etc. we both love archery, but also believe that a september archery hunt will prove to be better weather for a couple of novices.

the next two years will be spent aquiring maps and arial photos, conditioning (with weighted packs) and researching in general.

i'm trying to be a realist. i'm 33 now and i understand that i won't be able to hunt like this forever.

i understand i have a lot of preparation, but am looking for any advice that might make our trip more successful.

thanks in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harvester

Remember the wilderness law, and watch out for grizzlies...there everywhere up here. Call the Game and Fish and ask for a biologist.

Good luck

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
don't overlook school sections as public land.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote