Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
What is your experience with Sierra Game King Bullets? In what calibers/weights have you tried them? I know they�re kind of soft and probably not suited for medium-big african antelopes and elk, moose..except from longer shots maybe..?
I have only shot a couple of norwegian reindeers and the performance was good, but their kind of small animals..

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used these on various game and in various rifles. I guess the hardest I've pushed them is the 30 Cal. 200 gr GK in a 300 Wby at 3000 fps, or maybe the 215 gr 338 at 2900 fps in the 338 WM. Used on moose and elk. Yes, the bullet deformed. No, it didn't break up. Distances were from 40 yards to about 250 yards. I think they're a fine bullet, very accurate, not as tough as the Nosler, but if you use enough bullet weight for the caliber, they work quite well. In the 338 I think the 250 gr is a better choice, the 215 didn't break up, but it looked like it was right on the edge of not having much left of it. Kind of spindly, fragile looking. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 300 Gr. in 375 H&H for African antelope. I thought they were outstanding on Kudu, Wildebeest, etc. They always lose their jacket, but they seemed to give good penetration at all angles from 50 yds. to 300 yds.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I'm waiting for a reply about using Matchkings in Africa [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they probably open up a little fast for bigger stuff but they work fine on smaller stuff. I use the .458 300 gr HPFN's in my 45/70, and the few I have recovered are all mangled, but in saying that the game has been put down very hard. I have also used woodeligh's in my 45/70 (405 gr FN) and they just make your text book mushroom and stay togther extremely well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote