Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Triple.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I just got back from west Texas.....figured yall might like to see the results. It wasn't really all that much of a hunt, but it was still a good time. I shot 3 Buffalo cows.....one for ourselves and two for friends of ours. I was just the hitman. haha. I took all three with my .300 WSM using 180 gr. Winchester XP3 ammunition. All were taken with a single shot between the eyes at approximately 75 yards. The hunt was booked thru Mark at MMK Outfitters. Mark continues to be a great agent.....honest and reasonable. If anyone is looking for a guided hunt in Texas, give MMK a try: MMK Outfitters

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's a lot of butchering!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Planning a hunt in 2011 in S.D. Are you having anything mounted? smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the pictures of your freezer! Eeker

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should upgrade to a larger size. Not sure if I'll keep the meat yet. I'm after a trophy bull and generally the older bulls are pretty tough. smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bulls can be tough. But the burger is excellent it actually tastes like something not like ground beef that only tastes like whatever you season it with. I need the money and the freezer space to go and shoot another cow. By far the tastiest critter I have ever shot.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen.

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought a buffalo from a rancher in Montana. I asked him to have it shipped to the locker plant to be slaughtered and butchered for me. He said that buffalo don't really like to get into cattle trailers and that I should just stop by on way out and we could pick out a nice dry cow and I would shoot her. Then we could have the wrecker come from town and haul her to the locker plant.

So I show up with my 7 Mag and we drive out into the pasture, where about 60 buffalo are contently grazing. We stop about 50 yards from them and the rancher tells me to load my rifle, so I put three rounds in. I got out and walked around to his side of the truck.

"See that one, number 82 (pointing to the tag in her ear)? Shoot her right between the eyes. The sound of a 160 gr TSX splitting her skull made a distinct "crack!". The rest of the buffalo looked around, then went back to grazing.

"Hey, since you have a couple more shells in that thing, would you mind shooting a couple more for me? We need meat for winter and I might as well have them haul it in with yours. She that little bastard (pointing to a calf) back there? He's always jumping the fence. Shoot him right behind the ear."

Another one down.

"See that bull?"

"Which one?"

"The one who's thinking about stomping you."

That got my attention, so quickly looking around I did notice one bull giving me a dirty look and pawing with his front foot. A TSX between the eyes and he was down too.

What amazed me was that during this whole episode, they didn't run away. They didn't even pay attention! I can guarantee if I walked into the middle of a herd of dairy cows and started shooting them up, they'd be over the fences and into the next county. It's no wonder they almost got wiped out.

While not very bright, they do eat well and winter hides make great rugs for those of us with cold winters!

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not sure my legs would hold up to that kind of physical stress Smiler. All that running and chasing over hill and dale....you must have been exhausted. Was it a long truck or did it have a shot box? Anyway the numbers made it easier. I'm in. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, that looks like a nice place!

I've e-mailed them for info - I'm green with jealousy!!!

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
Man, that looks like a nice place!

I've e-mailed them for info - I'm green with jealousy!!!

FYI.....the actual property I was on is called Maverick Creek Ranch, located in Eden, TX.....but I set up the "hunt" thru Mark Knight at MMK Outfitters. And just to make things clear.....it was not meant to be an actual hunt, just a method of getting some great meat for a reasonable price. Mark informed me of this way in advance and I was fine with it. Mark is a truly stand-up gentleman and an honest guy. He will treat you right.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote