New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Awaited Bison Hunt Update...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks to my bride for making this happen.

I want to thanks Mark Knight and Jerermy Williams of MMK Outfitters for a GREAT hunt.

I took a neck shot and it was like a hammer.

Mark Knight and Jerermy Williams are great guys who know their business and know how to have fun!

Location was Clifton, Texas
Temp was Lows of the 30’s and Highs of the 50s
Rifle Marlin XLR 450 Marlin with Brockmen peep sights
400gr Speer .458 RNFP bullets going about 1900 ft/sec

I had hoped to have more pics but my son has yet to send them to me sooooo…

This was a one ton Bison… we were lucky he had moved to a pond to get some water so he was about 150ish yrds from the heard. The heard was small 10 to 15 individuals but they were good big healthy animals.

As my bull was heading back we positioned ourselves about 85yrds from him and I shot him from shooting sticks. One shot and he was down… did not take even one more step.

Each of my sons got a Red Deer Cow… which was a very exciting hunt.

We could not get within 100 yrds of them so…

My oldest son took a Cow at 204yrds with a Marlin 450 with Brockmen peep sights same bullet I was using… one shot DRT!

My Youngest son took a Red Deer Cow at 204yrds with a Win 30-06 150g Accubond Aprox 2900 ft/sec 240 yrds one shot DRT.

My Middle son took a Red Deer Cow at 130 Win 30-06 150g Accubond Aprox 2900 ft/sec... took 3 shots... one was a miss

It was a great hunt and a great time!

I heartily recommend MMK Outfitters

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are bison like to hunt? Are they smart? Are they easily spooked? Sense of smell? Eyesight?
I haven't the foggiest.

Congrats on a great hunt.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That is a cool pic, congratulations!

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to all!

Thank you for posting a picture with the action of the rifle ope and proving that it is safe.

Just like the current pictures with fingers off of the trigger of pistols and revolvers, the open action on the rifles should be standard to follow.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
temmi, OUTSTANDING!!! I have a trip scheduled for Oct. 2011 with The Triple 'U' in S. Dakota. Really looking forward to it. Congrats, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smoker1

S. Dakota... that the real golden ticket!

What you gonna use?

T

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was an article in today's Chattanooga paper about how the price of bison was $9.00/lb. This info would convince any wife/sweet thing that hunting bison is economical, so..........

Posts: 1074 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
What are bison like to hunt? Are they smart? Are they easily spooked? Sense of smell? Eyesight?
I haven't the foggiest.

Congrats on a great hunt.

Mine seemed to notice us right off the bat...

When we got within 150yrds of the small heard, they all faced us and two of the other bulls lowered their head and stomped...

That woke us up...

The Bull I shot saw us but just did not care.

I have been told that because they have no natural predators they are ok till you get within 50 -25 yrds of them.

I am anxious to hear about Somker1’s hunt to see how they compare

One of Us
posted Hide Post
temmi, goning to be using a Marlin .444 that I have reburbed. Seems like a good fit. Using a 300 XTP ~ 2100+. Gets your attention when you aggravate the trigger Smiler

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote