Find
Notify
Tools

My "Ultimate Wolf Hunting Rifle"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
A little preseason action and first blood for my new "Ultimate Wolf Calling Rifle". I have had a long time need for a weatherproof, quick handling,adequate caliber rifle for calling in the dark timber where I spend almost all of my time. I finally decided to make exactly what I wanted and here it is. She started out as a factory Ruger M77 Hawkeye. The stainless/synthetic was an absolute must for the 2-3 days a week (year round) it will spend exposed to the weather up here. I wanted a shorter barrel for quick handling in the timber so I had John King of Kila Mt. cut and recrown the barrel to 16 1/4".

I usually carry in an Eberlestock Gunrunner pack but I frequently would get pine needles etc in the muzzle from brushing against branches that slowly filled the scabbard. I also have to keep my muzzle taped when in heavy snow or even worse snowmobiling my trapline. To adress this issue, I had John thread the barrel and mount a standard A2 flash hider for an overall length of 18". The hider keeps crap out of my muzzle while in the pack and by putting on a plastic ar-15 muzzle cap (like our boys are using in the desert) it completely seals the barrel from rain/snow/debris. I think that it also looks kinda cool and probably gives me a little flash reduction as well as reducing muzzle rise.

Because I frequently call in bears (5 last fall and 1 grizz, 2yrs ago) and intend this specifically for wolf hunting I wanted a larger caliber so I opted for .308. The short action is handy and the caliber is not to much for coyotes, should be perfect for wolves and will be better than nothing if ursus comes in hard and fast. With a fully enclosed 6rd shell holder on the stock and four down in the mag I am good to go.

If you noticed the bright orange sling, that was also on purpose. I frequently lean my rifle against a nearby tree while setting up for bowhunting at a set and I can see that sucker instantly if I need to make a grab for it. It also works well when out placing my ecaller and I need to look back to see where my "hide" is. It is a simple one buckle design that allows me to instantly slide it up tight to the rifle for shooting yet can be loosened enough to wear across my back over a heavy snowsuit. I hate a sloppy dangling sling! Happily, when that barrel got cut short, either the additional stiffness or divine intervention helped with accuracy as it now shoots an honest 1/4 moa with factory federal blue box 150's.

Almost forgot, could not do it all with out the crystal clear Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5 mounted in low factory rings. I can shoot with both eyes open up close and fast when needed yet I can also crank it up to 4.5 for a longer shot in the areas where the timber has been thinned a bit. Well, I think that about covers it. For ME, it is the ultimate timber calling rifle.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
cool! i like a purpose built rifle, and your choice of modifications have produced a well-thought out weapon! wanna come west and help with our oversized 'coyote' problem? Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done. Sounds very well thought out. I hope you kill many a carnivore.

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em !

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
This one is definately a keeper!

"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would you say is your effective range on coyotes/wolves with this set-up, all things being perfect? I like it alot, I could use it in AZ but shots might be out to 400 yrds.

Posts: 33 | Location: SW AZ | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by giladad1:
What would you say is your effective range on coyotes/wolves with this set-up, all things being perfect? I like it alot, I could use it in AZ but shots might be out to 400 yrds.
It's a .308, probably depends on how steady you can find a rest. With what is effectively a 16" barrel, 400 yards would be possible. I've seen guys shoot 14" barreled Contenders out past 300 effectively. Some very effectively.

Probably have to load for the shorter barrel to maximize muzzle velocity. 4" less barrel length (or more as is the case here) makes a big difference with some propellants, especially with a heavier bullet.

Forgot to add that the (cut down) shorter barrel will tend to be more accurate than the same barrel left original length because it will be less effected by barrel whip. Everything else (crown, bedding/floating, etc) being equal, that is.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifle, BTW. Purpose built and worth every penny.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see a photo of it leaning against a wolf.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
I can't wait to see a photo of it leaning against a wolf.

Me too!

or 2012......