New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I got BUCK FEVER...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Only started hunting Axis bucks this year...

Past two hunts were difficult because they were so skittish and very hard trying to close the distance spotn'stalk.

They only gave me <5 seconds before they were out of there. Dang, no time to get set-up Frowner

Nevertheless, my heart rate was sky high and I couldn't get the scope settled. I've heard of buck fever but never thought I would suffer from it!

Been trophy hunting here in the islands for the past 3.5 years, pigs, goats, and rams...even been to Africa for PG and never had the fever come upon me before...my son and I have shot over 30+ trophy animals together...

Paying my dues I guess shocker

I gotta get my act together soon rotflmo

Bucks 3
LB 0

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late-Bloomer,

BF happens. Comes on you when you least expect it. As a consolation, it's nice to realize that you're still alive and can get that excited about doing something ya' love.
Somehow I bet you'll work through it.
I've often said if it ever gets to the point I don't get excited, I'm quitting.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting deer and other game in the northwoods one hardly has no time to "set up".

The buck I shot last year from the time I saw him to having 3 killing shots into him 5 seconds at the most.

I throw a rifle/shotgun to my shoulder several thousand times a year in paractice just to make sure I have the proper sight picture when the time comes.

As for buck fever I had it bad the frist year I gun hunted couldn't even shoot. bow huntig was even worse having to watch them come close enough. I would shake so bad the whole tree would move. Smiler

Got over the gun part after the first deer the bow part took several I still get excited but I am able to control it. I guess if and when I get over being excited about seeing game I'll hang it up.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Late-Bloomer,

BF happens. Comes on you when you least expect it. As a consolation, it's nice to realize that you're still alive and can get that excited about doing something ya' love.
GWB

Well said, Geedubya! It happens, don't sweat it, and just be glad you are alive!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Late-Bloomer,

GWB

Hey, Hey, Hey...GWB Big Grin

Yep, I love the excitement for sure beer

It's just one of them things I know I'll work through...these first three have been nothing but fun-frustration... rotflmo

I love the challenge...it's all good...I'm grateful indeed to be ALIVE and love hunting these deer!

Aloha!

Ro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Hunting deer and other game in the northwoods one hardly has no time to "set up".

The buck I shot last year from the time I saw him to having 3 killing shots into him 5 seconds at the most.

I throw a rifle/shotgun to my shoulder several thousand times a year in paractice just to make sure I have the proper sight picture when the time comes.

As for buck fever I had it bad the frist year I gun hunted couldn't even shoot. bow huntig was even worse having to watch them come close enough. I would shake so bad the whole tree would move. Smiler

Got over the gun part after the first deer the bow part took several I still get excited but I am able to control it. I guess if and when I get over being excited about seeing game I'll hang it up.

PDS,

Yep, no time to set-up on these boys thus far...the shots are quick!

Just bought me and my son a 22LR to do some offhand shooting, we need to put in the time to practice...

We'll be practicing for sure to get that sight picture AUTOMATIC! tu2

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have buck fever now and I wont get to hunt for about another week!!!! Dont think I have ever been so worked up prior to getting out. dancing

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
quote:
Late-Bloomer,

GWB

Well said, Geedubya! It happens, don't sweat it, and just be glad you are alive!

That's a BIG AMEN... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
I have buck fever now and I wont get to hunt for about another week!!!! Dont think I have ever been so worked up prior to getting out. dancing

Go gettem brother BOOM

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Still happens to me to this day on opening day of archery season whether it's a big buck or small one. The further into the season I go, the less it occurs. By the time rifle season rolls around, I don't remember having it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Still happens to me to this day on opening day of archery season whether it's a big buck or small one. The further into the season I go, the less it occurs. By the time rifle season rolls around, I don't remember having it.

Hey Doc,

Every time I go out to hunt it's like opening day dancing

I have to jump a plane to the neighbor islands to hunt...I go maybe 3x a year if I'm lucky Smiler
I hunt only one day as its $275 for a private land free range hunt...1 buck/2 does...I gotta make it count so the pressure has been high on my last two trips...I have to start relaxing a wee bit beer

Safe hunting my friend!

One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
The day you stop getting excited, is the day to stop hunting. Sometimes BF just pounces on you. Happens to the best. What you will learn to do is control it by various methods. I myself have a mental check list of things that I have to do while preparing to shoot. I have heard of guys thinking of other things like half naked wommen Smiler This I would think would cause another set of issues Big Grin
Good luck hunting and be safe.

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375LVR:
The day you stop getting excited, is the day to stop hunting. Sometimes BF just pounces on you. Happens to the best. What you will learn to do is control it by various methods. I myself have a mental check list of things that I have to do while preparing to shoot. I have heard of guys thinking of other things like half naked wommen Smiler This I would think would cause another set of issues Big Grin

Good luck hunting and be safe.

Thanks Martin... rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I'll give it up when the fever stops. After 100s of animals I still get the fever. I have actually spooked animals while bow hunting because I was shaking so bad!

You'll learn to control it over time Rowland, but it's hard for me to explain how that even happens Smiler It depends on the timeframe involved for me. IE if I see the animal and only have seconds to shoot, it really sets in after the shot. Those that you have to wait on for a while to get the perfect shot are the bad ones, but you'll learn to turn it off when it's time to squeeze the trigger.

Aloha

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I've yet to kill or even start the motions of making a shot on a big game animal that didn't give me buck fever. That's what hunting is all about.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say we start a support group for this malady.

I'd join.

Smiler

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky, I get Buck fever after I shoot. Sometimes I can't even stand up after the shooting is over.

Thankfully I never get it bafore.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's where practice, practice, practice plays a big part. Even tho your heart is doing a fandango, your training automatically lifts the rifle, aligns the sights, drops the safety, and gently squeezes the trigger. And then racks another round into the chamber.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't seem to effect me with big game with a rifle.

It does with a bow.

Also when a coyote is running in that I've called I can hardly control my adrenaline!

Must have something to do with getting close for me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
I'll give it up when the fever stops. After 100s of animals I still get the fever. I have actually spooked animals while bow hunting because I was shaking so bad!

You'll learn to control it over time Rowland, but it's hard for me to explain how that even happens Smiler It depends on the timeframe involved for me. IE if I see the animal and only have seconds to shoot, it really sets in after the shot. Those that you have to wait on for a while to get the perfect shot are the bad ones, but you'll learn to turn it off when it's time to squeeze the trigger.

Aloha

Reloader

Ronnie...if it happens to ya still...I say I'm in good company pard tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
That's where practice, practice, practice plays a big part. Even tho your heart is doing a fandango, your training automatically lifts the rifle, aligns the sights, drops the safety, and gently squeezes the trigger. And then racks another round into the chamber.

See that's the problem right there tu2

This year has been a rough year and had no trigger time and that's a first for me...usually I'm all practiced up before a hunt!

The past two hunts just had enuff time to sight in and hop on the plane...it ain't gonna happen again...I'll be practiced up for sure...

A real TOUGH but priceless lesson early in my hunting career...and I just got me my 22LR too in order to practice off-hand shooting!

I'll get git'r done....Thanks all beer

I love the EXCITEMENT too....just being out there is a MARVELOUS thing...

Good hunting to all tu2