New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another bear question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone ever seen, heard of, or thought it happened, that a black bear caught and killed a healthy deer or elk?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont know if it has ever happened but I wouldnt be surprised to hear that it has. I watched a blackie chase dall sheep before. It came awfully close to catching a ewe but wasnt quite agile enough. Was watching for about 15min before the bear gave up.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They kill fawns and calfs quite regularly. Wis has lost several elk calfs to bears. They are healthy. Given the opertunity they well kill and eat what ever they can.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Black Bears can run with a good quarter horse for a short distance. I have also come across a full grown doe Mule deer that a bear had fed on. Don't know if the bear killed the deer or not but it wouldn't surprise me. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes ......

It happens here in SE Alaska. The Black Bear do occasionally take down an adult Sitka Blacktail. They pound the fawn crop heavy.

Posts: 27 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen photos from the ADF&G of a Brown Bear chasing a Blacktail deer and catching it and eating it, in sequential photos. It was very impressive how fast those bears are.

John

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know of two horses that have been killed by Bears one by a griz the other by a black.

Posts: 36 | Location: prince george bc canada | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A horse nearby was clawed up by a bear awhile ago, but the bear chased it into the barn to do it. Do you knwo the situation behind the two kills you know of?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My broher-in-law taped a griz chasing down an elk cow and killing it in Yellowstone a few years back.

My impression is that the elk started too late in trying to escape. The griz had a full head of steam up. At any rate, it was impressive.

Bears is fast!

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Not too far north of me the wardens were talking about a Full grown adult bull moose killed by a blackie late last summer. It is not common for them to prey on healthy adults, so the bull may have had problems. If I remember just how they told me, the wardens were called in to remove the bull (which was still slightly breathing) because it was close to a wood cutting camphouse and they didn't want the bear to keep returning to finnish it. The warden stated it wuld have to be a very large bear to kill a moose that size, and only wearing his sidearm he never felt so under gunned before.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote