New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako or Kimber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking at two rifles this weekend. One was a Kimber 84M, Montana and the other was a Sako Finnlight. Which is a better rifle?? The Sako has a 20" barrel and the Kimber a 22". Most hunting is for deer and 250 yards would be max. The cal. I was looking at was 308 or 7-08.
The Kimber is lighter. I like the feel of the Sako new stock.
Will I loose much velocity with the shorter barrel?

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Though I have never owned a Kimber (maybe someday the Montana in 270 WSM) I love SAKOS so I will have to say SAKO. Just personal preference mind you. No real reason.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the classic do I want steak or lobster question. (laughing) Grab one and go. You won't go wrong. I've had a bunch of Sakos and I'm looking at a Kimber right now. They are both quality rifles. Two inches of barrel in these chamberings will be insignificant in actual field use.

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 308 based cartridges the Kimber Montana will weigh about a pound less than the Sako. This may or may not be an advantage to you.

If the Kimber were going up against almost any other mfg. other than Sako it would be a clear choice of which is "better". Kimber seems to be trying to get their quality up and they have a very good design that I like.

You should pick the rifle that you favor as your between these two your going to win either way. I don't know however what the Sako's Finnlight stock is made of. If it's a injected molded product like many of the SS rifles come with then it may not be a keeper. The Kimber has a stock designed by NULA that's made from carbon fibre and kevlar. I don't think the Sako stock will beat the Kimber stock.

For myself I would select the Kimber as it's made in the USA. I have plenty of Winchester Featherweights that are as good or better than the Sako already in the Sakos weight range. The Kimber is smaller and lighter. Since I have the "Featherweights" already the Kimber Montana is something that I dont have.

As to the 20" barrel in those cartridges it will not matter much in terms of performance. You may loose 50 fps with the shorter barrel.

www.sako.fi/sako75_finnlight.html

www.kimberamerica.com/84m.php

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a handle like "sakofan", I should say Sako. But, I never cared for the Finnlight. Not sure why, just thought the Kimbers were a better rifle than the Finnlight.

Get a Sako 75, friend. Or get a Cooper..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well my handle will answer it but i have read reports on this forum as well as others about the actions in the new montanas being very rough and also read reports about them not shooting so well. I dont hear/read many reports about sako 75's not shooting well or having rough actions. I think Kimber still needs better QC. However, I think they make a very good product.

By the way, if your worried about the stock, SAKO 75's have about as rigid of a stock for injection molded as I have felt. That being said, the kimber's is probably better. My solution, buy a sako and save up for a mcmillan which is better than anything if your worried about the stock/.

Dont buy the gun for the stock, buy it for the metal.

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

well my handle will answer it but i have read reports on this forum as well as others about the actions in the new montanas being very rough and also read reports about them not shooting so well.

Show me those reports on Kimber Montana's

Use www.boardreader.com to find topics on the net.

Here is a Kimber Montana report

www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB54&Number=238762&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=228166&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=4464&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post238762

one of us
Picture of killsoft
posted Hide Post
I wrote the report mentioned above. I looked seriously at the Finnlight before I bought my Kimber Montana. I chose the Montana. If you have any specific questions, ask and I'll try to answer them.

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently compared the Kimber Montana and the Classic and I prefered the Classic. The wood with nice checkering seemed better and I liked the ability to unload from the bottom. The classic weighs 8 oz more than the Montana. If you liked the wood of the Sako I would consider comparing it to the Classic.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB38&Number=536618&Forum=f38&Words=kimber%20montana&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=536618&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=0&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post536618

"most of the early 1's were rough and had feed problems"

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB38&Number=469225&Forum=,f38,&Words=kimber%20montana&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=469217&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=0&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post469225

Shooting Update: :

4 loads each of RL 19 (46 thru 49 grains)
Hornaday 139 SST
Hornaday 139 Grain Interbond
New Federal Premium Cases
Federal 210M primer

No groups were under 2". SST's were terrible, 3" or more.

We had to send back Kimbers in 308 because they wouldn't feed correctly and some other problems. That worries me. The groups that you're getting aren't all that impressive right now.

As far as feeding problems, mine
(7-08)will not feed Trophy Bonded Bearclaws at all.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB54&Number=238213&Forum=,,All_Forums,,&Words=kimber%20montana&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Main=228166&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post238213

Here are some preliminary range results on my Montana. Conditions were 55 degrees F, wind variable 5 - 15 knots mostly from behind the bench. 100 meters, 3-shot groups rapid-fire. Barrel was allowed to cool between strings. Factory ammo. Time was limited so I only shot a few groups.

Radway Green 147gr FMJ (Milsurp) - 1.7"
Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr - 1.957
Federal Premium 165gr GameKing - 1.703
Remington 150gr PSPCL "Core-Lokt" - 0.582, 0.862

There are many positive reportsas well on all these threads, and I am not saying Kimber's are bad. Never did.

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako 75,

Have you found any quotes yet that confirm your statement that the actions on Kimber Montana's were rough?

I did not see any such statement in the above quotes. Maybe it's there and if so it's possible anyway but I have not seen a rough one.

I have a Sako L61R that I wish were a Winchester. My mistake.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Although I collect Sakos, I believe both are great rifles; however, I really prefer the Kevlar stock on the Montana over the Sako's POS injection-molded stock. The only positive about the Sako is the detachable mag. The Montana has a blind mag, but it weighs less. Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote