Find
Notify
Tools

What Cal. for a Custom Manlicher???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
When i was a Boy my father had a friend that hunted with us, He a Styer Manlicher in 270win with a 2X7 Leupold. I thought that was the hottest gun ever built. For the last 35 yrs I've wanted one but been unable to afford one. Now I'm going to build my Dream Manlicher. I thought I might go with 270win I'm not sure that's a classic cal. for this rifle.
This gun wont be my primary hunting rifle and It diffienty a want insteqad of a need, so balistics are secondary. What do yall think.

Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc I thought you were all set for a one gun deal with your 7MM STW?

You posted this, on that thread

"Metalman
Thanks for the post I'm in a simular situation, with family and finances. It's good to know that every body on AR isn't a trust fund baby buying a arsenal with sombody elses money.

Also from the swamps of Louisana
Dr B"

I reckon you'd better start saving up those welfare checks instead of buying yourself an "arsenal" on somebody elses money. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr B
I think a 308 would be a good choice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Surestrike
I am intrested in a one gun for every thing not becuse I can't afford more than one gun, but as I said I missed the familiarity of one rifle.

There is no trustfund Money here and I like Metalman spent years in school and pay my own way. Infact I spent 14 yr in Pre-med. Medical School and Residency. Much of that time suporting four children and a wife.
Dr B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr B
True, the 270 is not a classic caliber for such a rifle. But, if you like the performance of the 270 you could choose the cartrigde the 270 was inspired by: The 7x64 Brenneke.

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
How about something with "Mannlicher" in the very title such as 6.5x54 M-S ? Or a 7x57 wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
358 Winchester built on a M-7 Remington action.

That or buy a new Steyr-Mannlicher for $1700.

I have a 1970's Steyr-Mannlicher in 270 with a fullstock. I like it but it's not my favorite rifle. I bought it in 1999 for my father.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5X55 is great ! if your thinking .270 then go better .280 rem /7mm Express , Read the tables for that cartridge . The .280/7mm Exp is my choice

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I've always loved mannlicher stocked rifles and have had three Ruger 77 RSI's in 250 Savage, 7X57 and 308. My complaint with the Ruger is it's, well, a Ruger and really should have had a 20" tube as I think the 18.5" barrel made it "stubby" looking whereas it could have looked "svelt" with a bit more tube.

If the barrel is less than 21" I'd go with a short action round like the 250, 243, 7-08 or 308. If 21" or more barrel is where you go I'd do 257 Rbts, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57 or 30-06.

Follow your bliss...

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I firmly believe it should be chambered for one of the European rounds, i.e., 6.5x55, 7x57, 7x64, 9.3x62, etc.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Dr.Lou said it all! I would go with the 6.5X55. Serengetti builds a great Mannlicher stock. I think the Laminate is the way to go, should help prevent warping. Call Larry or Rob, they have built a lot of these.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
Surestrike
There is no trustfund Money here and I like Metalman spent years in school and pay my own way. Infact I spent 14 yr in Pre-med. Medical School and Residency. Much of that time suporting four children and a wife.
Dr B

Dr B,
My point being you aren't the only who has paid dues and works for a living. I thouhght that comment was ill placed and rude in nature.Nobody has given me a damn thing and I am very proud of every trip I've made and every rifle I own as they are all provided by my own two hands. As have many worldwide hunters on this sight.

In any case if I were looking for that Manlicher you mentioned I'd surely have to have it 7X57 Mauser. Just for cool factor. Not to mention it's a pretty capable little round.
Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
It must be a European round. Either classic, as in 9.3x62, or modern, as in .376 Steyr.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
For my own use, I'd build either a 7mm Mauser, or else a 6.5X55

AD

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Allen I agree... for a nice deer rifle I doubt a 7x57 or 6.5x55 could be improved on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
8x57mm would work nicely too!

One of Us
Picture of TomFromTheShade
posted Hide Post
The 7mm Mauser seems to be the logical choice to me. Its a great deer round, and it would look sweet in that rifle.

- TomFromTheShade -

Make it a point in life to leave this world a little better off than it was before you came into it.

Posts: 81 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... a Styer Manlicher in 270win with a 2X7 Leupold. I
... Now I'm going to build my Dream Manlicher. I thought I might go with 270win I'm not sure that's a classic cal. for this rifle.

Dr B

Dr. B, are you going to build what is commonly known as a "Mannlicher" in the US - i.e. a rifle with a full stock?? Or are you going to build a rifle on a Steyr Mannlicher action, with either full or half stock?? It is a bit unclear??

Do you already have the action, or are you going to buy that once you decide which cartridge you want??

I ask because, although most of the cartridges suggested here share the same boltface, there may be modifications needed to the magazine depending on what cartridge you go with?? Certainly if you are going to build on a Steyr Mannlicher action, the issue of magazine is a real one. There are two forms of magazines for a Steyr Mannlicher action: rotary (synthetic) or inline (metal). I'm not at all convinced how easy it would be to modify the rotary type from one cartridge to the next??

If what you are going to build is a full stocked rifle, be aware that such rifles are commonly built with short barrels - typically around 20". Much longer than that, and not only do you loose the shortness and handiness of a "Mannlicher", but the full length foreend becomes more and more of a problem in terms of moving.

With a 20" barrel, you really don't want too large a case. All you'd achieve would be a bunch of muzzle flash, and not much added velocity. In that case, I'd go with a 7x57 or a 6.5x55. The .270 or 7x64 cases are on the large side for a 20" barrel. You could even go with a case like the .308, 7mm-08 etc. But the 7x57 or the 6.5x55 sure are nice, classic options.

If you go with either the 7x57 or the 6.5x55, be aware that both cartridges often come with LOOONG freebores. So be careful your smith's reamer is capable of setting you up with a freebore suited to your magazine length and the bullets you plan on shooting.

If you are going to build a full stock rifle, what is your plan for dealing with the somewhat problematic foreend?? One of the best options, IMHO, is to have a fairly stout barrel, and use a stock made out of laminated wood - Serengeti have built some nice full stocked rifles of late. They use a lamination process, which is extremely discrete, their laminated stocks really look like "normal" wood. This page has a few pictures, click to enlarge.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
MHO
Thank for all the info. I was using Manlicher genereicly for a full stock rifle. I have not decided on the action. Does Manlicher sell actions? 6.5 X 55 or 7.5 X 57 are the top choices so far. 9.3X62 or 376 styer would be intersting but I want to keep it light and have a steel butt plate. I'm to recoil sensitive for the larger rounds in a light rifle.
I talked to the people at Serengeti yesterday but i don't know about a laminated stock, on this rifle. Does anyone know a good stock maker that can do a full length stock.
Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I am going to be building a 9.3x62 with 21" tube on a Brno 21H action with Argy 1909 bottom metal, etc. and it is, I hope, going to have a Serengeti "stutzen" stock on it. This is the correct term for the full length stocks on rifles other than Mannlicher-Schoenauers, of which I have a superb example in .30-06. I would go with .308 or larger bore on this type of rifle, having had a M-S in a smaller bore, a 1961MCA in 6.5x55.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know a good stock maker that can do a full length stock.
Dr B

There's a guy who lurks around here that goes by the handle Customstox... he could probably help you Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does Manlicher sell actions?
Dr B

Nope, I don't believe Steyr sells actions.

Kutenay is totally correct in introducing the term "Stutzen" for a full stocked rifle. That is the term used in Germanic Europe - equivalent to the US term "Mannlicher", which really stems from particular brands of rifles (Mannlicher-Schoenauer and the later Steyr-Mannlicher) often made as "Stutzen".

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a nice Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 8X60S that does quite well. It is fitted with a trap door steel butt plate and a rotary steel mangazine. From my research, the M-S rotary magazines do not lend themselves to modification very well. Feeding problems are the typical result. The 8X60 is pretty much a handload proposition though. I do not find it punishing even off the bench. But others may disagree. Nice round though.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I won't hesitate to decide on a 375H&H. The recoil is managable for an all rounder. With a 300gr Barness "X" or other suitable premium grade bullet nothing that Africa or N.A. can offer will be a problem.

Addicted to recoil

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course the 270 Win. would "work" in a carbine but somehow it does not seem to go. If indeed a long action is selected then I would go with larger bores such as the 30-06 for a first choice. The European or metric barrel length for a carbine is 20.5"

Here is an orginal 22f in 8-57S thats just ready for opening day Saturday.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote