THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: 300SAUM bullet, need response quick, please...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 300SAUM bullet, need response quick, please...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Actually I went back and looked at the 180 Partition, and IT DID group 1". 2 holes were peanut and the other straight on top of them opening it up to 1". These hit in the exact same place as the 180 Btip. Also, I would have time to seat these bullets a little deeper and try that for 3 shots.

I have no experience with the 300saum with a 180 partition. If we go with that, what should I do for sight in? 3" high at 100? We will have time once we are in Colorado to shoot out to 300 yards to see impact.

My brother is also taking his 270...PacNor barrel, 130 TSX on Re19 (57.0), absolute tack tack tack driver. I put 3 shots in 2 holes at 3/8". My spotter said he could not see a third hole anywhere and I had a 30"x30" box with a huge white target and orange dots. Literally must have one holed 2 bullets. I love that. It was the second time for that load, the first was 50 thousands off the lands, which also 2 holed with 3 shots but was 1". This time I sat the bullet only 5 thousands off the lands with the competition bullet seater.

one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
If you were just goin' deer hunting I would say that the interlock or the NBT would do the job.But throw in a possible close range shot at a torqued up bull elk and I think that if you are getting a decent grouping from either the Partition or the TSX that would be the direction I would go.I'm not meaning to alter the direction of your thread,just throwing in my $.02.Papershredder

Posts: 157 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Maybe you could try to put a Hornady Interbond on top of the load with the interlock? You say the others are shooting OK, whats OK? If the TSX or partition went under 1.5 MOA I would load it up and go hunting. Your brother will never notice and neither will the animal. He needs practice with the rifle more than you need to find a 1/4" smaller group. I applaud your dedication to tuning a good load for the hunt but don't forget he won't be shooting off of sandbags.

Good advice. Based on my experience with my 300 SAUM, it HATES Interbonds. Sub MOA groups for most bullets opened up to 3" @ 100 using a variety of loads.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rather than the itnerbonds, i would suggest the nosler accubonds. click the link below for a discussion of the differences between the two. considering that elk might be in the picture, i think you would be better off.

interbond vs accubond

if the choice were only between the two you listed, i would advise the interlocks.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could try to put a Hornady Interbond on top of the load with the interlock? You say the others are shooting OK, whats OK? If the TSX or partition went under 1.5 MOA I would load it up and go hunting. Your brother will never notice and neither will the animal. He needs practice with the rifle more than you need to find a 1/4" smaller group. I applaud your dedication to tuning a good load for the hunt but don't forget he won't be shooting off of sandbags.

Posts: 1494 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the 165 Hornady. It will be ideal for deer and just fine for elk. Be sure to keep the shots smart on elk though - don't try anything fancy.

What groups are you getting on the premium bullets?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Sorry for my brevity. "Ok" groups means about 2 to 2.5". Just not acceptable to me but it may be for my brother. I agree he should practice but he's done lots of that with this rifle before with similar wt. bullets.

I told him not to aim for bone. I don't think I'm going to have time to get some interbonds and work up another load. I have 3 more rifles to break in and do before we go and now my time is even more limited.

Thanks again.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well my brother stated that he wanted to go with the Btip but the more I think about it, I'll talk him into going with the Partition. He just signed in on a chat, so I'll do that now.

1" group is good to 350.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I went to the range yesterday with my brother's new 300SAUM. I've spent a couple of days with it now, at least 10 hours of range time.

We are going to Colorado for mulie and elk. What I have so far that grouped well after barrel break in is the 165 Hornady boat tail interlocked, 1/2" group of 3 CTC. And the 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip which grouped the exact same. The Scirocco 165, TSX 168, and 180 Partition grouped ok but still need work, which takes time, something I don't have now.

So, with the primary game being mulie and elk being a 'maybe', which bullet would you all recommend b/w the 180 Btip and 165 Hornady? I did not get to chrono, unfortunately d/t rain threat. My brother told me he won't shoot past 350 yards on a deer.

Thanks.

Updated with pics: range pictures to accompany original thread....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc
Try the 168 Grain TSX over 56 Grains of Varget with a WLRM or Rem 9 1/2M. COL in my Model 700 is about the magazine length (2.820 if memory is correct). In my rifle it groups at .71 @ 100 and 1.1 @ 200. I used it in another 700 and groups were similar. MV 2975.

Good luck.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
"The 165 ILBTs or the 180 NBTs?"

180 NBTs hands down. The 180 NBTs have suitable construction and they hold together much better than the Lighter NBT 150s and 165s.

The 165 Hdy. ILs are great Bullets but they are not going to give you near the penetration of the 180s.

When fired from a 300 Win. Mag. the 180s penetrated great on Whitetails and Exit holes were smaller than the lighter NBTs (due to the slower speeds and better SD).

I have heard of several hunters harvesting Elk w/ the 180 NBTs so, you shouldn't doubt them a bit.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Actually I went back and looked at the 180 Partition, and IT DID group 1". 2 holes were peanut and the other straight on top of them opening it up to 1".

If the Partition groups that well I'd use it for the mulies AND the elk and ever look back.

The Nosler Partition bullet isn't the medium to large game hunting bullet to which all other hunting bullets are compared for nothing...

Partitions almost always shoot under an inch with my thin barreled hunting rifles with minimal load development and their terminal ballistics is classic textbook and gives more "bang, flop" performance than any/all other bullets I've ever tried....

Make mine a Partition....

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
Good choice.It is pretty tough to go wrong with the Nosler Partition for a bullet that can be used on all game at all ranges.Enjoy your hunt!!Papershredder

Posts: 157 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Tried the TSX over Varget today, best group was 1.25". Brother stated he'd go with the good ol 180 Partition. We're done for this trip. I'll work on TSX when we get back. He still has his heart set on that booger. Thanks all.

one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
Doc;I have a .300 RUM that I load NBT's for the range and Partitions for hunting,both in 180 grain.I have found the same results as you did with the point of impact being very close between the two at 100 yds.Maybe you have found your load for the rifle!! Papershredder

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Doc,

I just ran some numbers.

If you get 2855 fps MV (65 grns of R22) w/ the 180 grn Spire Pt NPT (BC=.474) and you sight in 3" high at 100 you will be:

Zeroed @ 250, -3.9" @ 300, -9.5" @ 350, and -16.8" @ 400 yards.

If you use the Protected Point NPT (BC=.361) for the same zero and MV, your Trajectory should be:

-4.3" @ 300, -10.5" @ 350, and -18.9" @ 400 yards.

Good Luck, Hope Yall get a Big One.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Doc

Try the 168 Grain TSX over 56 Grains of Varget with a WLRM or Rem 9 1/2M. COL in my Model 700 is about the magazine length (2.820 if memory is correct). In my rifle it groups at .71 @ 100 and 1.1 @ 200. I used it in another 700 and groups were similar. MV 2975.

Good luck.

I will most definitely try it. I will be at the range tomorrow for about 6 hours so I'll have time to put about another 10 thru the 300. But I'll definitely try it. Thanks. Honestly, my brother really really wants to use the TSX bullet. He witnessed what it did from my 270, but Barnes has no recommendation yet from the 300 Short Rem. So far, in other cals, their recommendations have been right on.

Leaving for Target World right now to get some Varget...wish me luck on the load tomorrow!