Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone tried salt????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
In the Chaco area some hunters hang a plastic bag full of salt from a branch. After a while the condensation starts throwing little drops to the floor. Wild animals discover the place and start visiting it regularly allowing hunters to ambush them.

Someone do this in the States??
Seems a good and cheap way of baiting them.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
In the states we just put a block of salt on the ground...four cattle....if the deer come for a lick then consider it a bonus.

The real answer to your question lorenzo is that here in the states most people are using feeders or food plots to attract deer. No doubt some still use salt..but for the most part those days are long past.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
We've used salt when I was in Mississippi. The deer seem to love it and will actually create holes by eating or pawing the ground where the salt originally was. They don't seem to be as agressive towards the salt in the Oklahoma Texas area because they can pick enough of it up through their diet and the surrounding soil components.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In some states it is actually illegal. Our regulations vary wildly from region to region - not unlike Africa!
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I buy 50lb bags of salt for around $2 US.

I just pour it on a stump, on a rotting log, or on the ground. They love it and keep coming back to lick it until they have eaten the wood and dug a hole in the ground. I will admit I've only seen one deer licking salt. They do it mostly at night here as I can see there tracks around the salt licks regularly.

There are other products that work the same way such as deer cocane and C'mere Deer.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Reloader,
Deer cocane or deer cocaine ???
There are some colombians down here, maybe I should ask if they have some magic stuff for deers... Big Grin
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader,
Deer cocane or deer cocaine ???
There are some colombians down here, maybe I should ask if they have some magic stuff for deers...

There ya go Big Grin. Dope em' up, that would probably make for an easy stalk or a lot of laughing one.

Looks like I mispelled it.

They sell what they call "Deer Cocaine" here in the states but, I do believe it is also majority salt mixed w/ a few other chemicals but, I don't think there's anything harmful in it.

Another thing we have luck w/ here is sweet stuff. Deer are suckers for caramel, Peanut Butter, apples, pears, sugar licks, etc, etc....

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Some of my old buddies always said mix the salt with heroin... then the deer would HAVE to come back!!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
In my neck of Texas, salt leeches up from the ground in certain areas (bottom of canyons, or by the river). I have a water well that is salty and the river runs salty as the ocean this time of year (lot of evaporation in 110 degree weather).

We have no shortage of salt!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
That would be illegal up here.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo - not from the States but from EU - here we regulary give the salt for the hooted game (roes, reds, chamois...) in the spring so they can get needed minerals for better recovery after harsh winter - here is a pic from our place (mind splited trunk with a salt stone at the top) - as you can see at the bottom reds and roes devastated it - one can last for about 3 years then we have to make a new one...

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last season i tried a salt lick(meant for farm sheep). tied it up off the ground so the foxes could"nt shit on it. the deer never looked at it, maybe because they were too busy eating the oats!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote