THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Guides/Outfitters... Or those that have hunted with them?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guides/Outfitters... Or those that have hunted with them?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello all,

In the future I hope to be able to take some guided hunting trips to the west. I've posted a few times about rifle configurations and cartridges that might make up a good battery for the kind of hunting that I hope to do. Anyway, I have a few more related questions (one of which I think has an obvious answer, but thought I would throw in). Please bare with me if the answers to the first 2 are obvious as well, but I don't even know anyone that has been on a big guided hunt. I've kinda taken up hunting and shooting on my own and haven't had a lot of mentors in the sport. I digress...

1.) How many rifles do most outfitters suggest/encourage/allow you to bring? If I were spending the kind of money it takes to go on one of these trips I sure would want a back up (or two!). Are most tolerant of this?

2.) If time on horseback is part of the hunt, how important is it to have a rifle that is particularly well suited as a "saddle rifle"? Put another way... How much HUNTING (as opposed to simple transportation) is typically done on horseback?

3.) This is the one I think is obvious... As a guide/outfitter would you rather have a client show up with a suitably (but not optimally) powered rifle that he can shoot the wings off a gnat at 300 yards with, or a rifle that makes the hunter quiver at the thought of getting it anywhere near his shoulder with a bullet in the chamber? Example (for my recoil tolerance)... A .30-06 vs a .378 Wby mag for big Alaskan moose...

Thanks in advance,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

#1. I quess it depends on the outfit. Alot of the Outfits that I know of, especially the ones that you fly into thier base camp, have weight restrictions. An example: 80lbs. of gear, rifle included. Rarely have I seen hunters bring more than one rifle. Most outfits have a spare rifle.
It is best to ask the outfitter when you book your hunt.

#2. How much hunting is done on horse back? Depends on the Outfitter, area, and the type of game your are hunting. Really, it makes no difference, if your gun is on the saddle for a week or a month. Bring the gun you want to hunt with. I have hung all kinds of rifles on the side of a horse. Some with unbelievably large Ziess scopes.

#3. What do you think?

A bit of advice,
BEWARE of bargain hunts. Good outfitters get what thier hunts are worth. Thier reputations sell hunts.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a bring-two-of-everything type of hunter.

I've only gone on one horseback elk hunt. The outfitter adapts to what you bring.

Bounce the rifle information off the outfitter just so no one gets surprised. If it's sensible I'm sure the outfitter prefers something you can shoot.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I don't guide in the west for Elk, but..

1. I like to see clients bring a second weapon, It shows they come prepared.

2. You always see the "big one" when you least expect it so something that will come out of the scabbard smoothly could only be a plus.

3. If the outfitter tells you to bring the biggest thing you can find, get another outfitter. For bear I do tell people to bring the biggest rifle THAT THEY ARE GOOD WITH. But that advice is more for me than them as large exit holes in bears leave a better blood trail. I would tend more to recomend the bullet they use in the rifle they always carry.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to hunt on horseback than forget the second rifle but bring an alternate sighting system. Second scope (sighted in) or a detachable peep, open sights etc. There is nothing in the world harder on optics or cameras than horses. Don't put your expensive binos or cameras in your saddle bags unless well padded.

Last Aug I destroyed a brand new Leupold 1.5x5 in two days. About 50 miles. It rattled when I took it out of the scabbard.

Also, ALWAYS, take your rifle out of the scabbard when you dismount for a rest or a look. Horses love to roll and your rifle won't last long.

I think that most people over gun and over optic themselves. Try to stay with lighter rifles and scopes as the weight has to be offset on the other side for balance. I really dislike the nylon scabbards as they offer little protection although they are popular and light.

Don't bring a rifle you can't live without. We break at least one a year. Usually because of poor horsmanship and carelessness but sometimes the horse just falls.

Your last question is simple. Bring a rifle you are comfortable with and can shoot. I can't think of any animal in NA that needs a 378 WB.

A horse can only carry so much and if you put a 250lb. man, a 30 lb saddle, a 10 - 15 lb rifle/scabbard, 20 lbs saddlebags and rain slicker/coat/etc you have quite a load.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote