THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Need the opinion of experienced hunters

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need the opinion of experienced hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am using 180 grain .308 cal Win Power Points from a 30.06 at

around 2600 fps. (book)

From what I've read/researched/bullet tests, this should be an excellent combo for anything in North America. This bullet seems to perform very, very well for a standard bullet....at standard velocities.

Experiences??

one of us
posted Hide Post
That bullet at that speed with a PROPERLY PLACED SHOT will kill anything in North America!!
Good luck and a great choice in the 30-06

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a true statement but I would not hunt the great bears with anything that didn't have wheels under it.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For general hunting of everything but the big bears I would say that load will work fine. Calling it an excellent choice for "everything" is a stretch. It is anything but an excellent load for brown or polar bear hunting.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To clarify, I guess saying "anything" in North America is incorrect on my part. I meant mulies, whitetail, elk, moose.

Nothing dangerous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Because they retain more weight, a premium bullet will penetrate deeper. Which on an angling shot, can make a difference. I prefer bullets that punch through or leave a blood trail. Unless you hit the spine or the head, you can't be sure your animal will go down soon or where.
Premium bullet loads, like the Federal ammo with either the Nosler Partition or the Federal Throphy Bonded bullet really don't add anything significant to the cost of the hunt. So, for insurance, I use them for everything if I use factory ammo. These two, BTW, open at as low an impact speed as anything except the very fragile Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Your choice is a good one. Few critters or situations will challenge the abilities of that load. The Power Point bullets I have seen tested do much better than the new Remington Cor-Loks (which aren't made anything like the originals) or the Nosler Ballistic Tips which have the same jacket and core composition of the 150 gr. bullets. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Your choice of a load is sound and one that will serve you well.

Eremicus wrote: "Premium bullet loads, like the Federal ammo with either the Nosler Partition or the Federal Throphy Bonded bullet really don't add anything significant to the cost of the hunt. So, for insurance, I use them for everything if I use factory ammo. These two, BTW, open at as low an impact speed as anything except the very fragile Nosler Ballistic Tips. "

Eremicus, I must ask: Just how many of the Trophy Bonded bullets you have actually tested? Granted, they are great in the larger-capacity rounds, but in anything else, they are less than an optimum choice if a longer shot may be necessary. Below 2250-2300 fps, they offer iffy expansion and often will punch right on through with minimal tissue destruction. The standard Partitions will expand down to 1950/2000. A BT will open at velocities as low as 1650-1700 fps.

Also, Eremicus, the Ballistic Tips intended for game are anything but fragile. I challenge you to section one. You'll see that the jacket thickens significantly as you approach the solid base and is more substantial than you may realize. Used within the recommendations of the manufacturer, the BTs are perhaps the finest medium game bullet ever devised. I use them in a number of calibers but have used the 120 grain, 6.5mm the most. From 2000 fps in a tiny 10", 6.5mm TCU to nearly 3100 fps in a 6.5-06, the BT offers match-grade accuracy and expansion over a range of velocities which other bullets simply can't match. For those who question its penetration, I can only add that exits on virtually any broadside presentation are the norm.

I have heard all sorts of "stories" regrading the BTs over the years. Sure, some may have merit, but most are hogwash -- and most probably stem from someone using a varmint-weight Ballistic Tip on a big game animal.

The most memorable tale comes from a couple of years ago when a hunter claimed a 180 grain Ballistic Tip from his 30-06 exploded on the ribcage of a pronghorn and did not penetrate the ribs (how he can claim this since the animal was not recovered is up to you to decide) . First of all, simple physics tell us a different story. A bullet with the sectional density/mass of a .30 caliber, 180 grainer at moderate velocity will punch through the ribcage of any pronghorn that ever walked. Even if the Ballistic Tip were a fragile varmint bullet (which it is NOT), there's ample mass to guarantee that at least some fragments would make it through the ribcage and into the vitals to result in the pronghorn's demise.

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Johnny Ringo---I've taken--- black bear, mule deer & elk with the factory Winchester 180 grain "PP". It works. I have started to handload for my 30/06 & have settled on 56 grains of IMR 4350---Winchester Primers----180 grain Hornady spire point bullet. Standard, plain jane--180 grain bullets at 30/06 velocities----work & work well, Honest Truth from experience. I have found that published velocity & the velocity I got from my rifle were different. My handloads were slower, I think it's due to the 22" barrel on my Model 700 & that the published rates are from a 26". Good Luck

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to veer from the rest a little here. 30-06's just love bullets in the 150-165gr. class and those bullets will take anything the 30-06 itself is suited for. You will get a little better trajectory and a little less recoil and just as dead of animals. If you think you need a 180 or larger bullet then I think you need to step up to the 300mags.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I myself love the hornady sp and speer mag tip with 150 grain bullets for deer and black bear. 2900fps is the norm and if you have a longer barrel you can reach 3000-3100fps. As for the 180 grain bullets they to are good for deer but if i were to use my 30/06 for elk or the big bears it would be with nosler patition bullets 180 grain with a velocity of 2800fps or a little over . The 30/06 always did and always will get the job done. In my opinion if you want to step up to a magnum rifle i would pass the 300's and try the .338 win. mag. Good luck Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great choice the .30-06! Personally, I'd try out a Nosler Partition (e.g. in Federal factory loads) if I was planning for heavier game (elk, moose etc) - just for that little additional edge. But up to deer size animals, the load you have will do just fine.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HAVE never killed elk...yet, but have done moose and I know they have been killed with .22s but so have polar bears and I don't know anyone who has suggested their use for those.

I am a fan of calibers that always can penetrate through. I can say I have seen several moose take an awful lot of tagging from .270s, 3006s, 308s, even one that took three perfect hits from a .300Win Mag before deciding to die. AS for elk, all I can say is their ability to take FPE is somewhat legendary.

I wouldn't hunt elk or moose with anything under .338/340..but then I use a .340 for caribou.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the Handloader issue where they tested bullets, the Power-point did unbelieveably well. As good as some of the premiums. No kidding.

Check it out.

I have enough kills under my belt to know the '06 is plenty for moose and elk.........Just wanted input on the Power Point itself.