New
Find
Notify
Tools

The .243 impressed me this year
 Login/Join

<heider>
posted
Hunting for mostly deer this year, I was using my .243 Win. I had a load if 90 Gr Nosler BT @ 3200 fps. It would kill several deer and many coyotes with no difficulty, always pass through's and D.O.A performance. I also had a cow moose tag and because there was fresh snow I decided to use the .243 for this also, I had 95 Gr Nos. Partitions @ a warm 3250 fps. I spotted the moose moving across an ege about a mile away. I predicted an intercept course on what seemed to be a "funnell" of two large wooded areas. I made the sprint but got there a little late. I was offered a 400yd shot quartering on at about 25 degrees. I fell prone and aimed behind the shot behind the shoulder as it stood there. The moose leaped forward and tripped and landed upside down.
Closer inspection showed that the bullet had gone right through!! The damage it had done and the size of the exit hole were impressive to say the least, it actually went through the shoulder on this 1000lb animal.
I would have used my .338 if there was not any tracking snow, but makes you wounder if it is too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heider:
I would have used my .338 if there was not any tracking snow, but makes you wounder if it is too much gun.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Now, that's a good laugh!...

Congrats on your success!

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the moose! Moose are not that hard to kill, in my experience, however sometimes they don't realize they have been killed till they get into some bad locations. 338 is too much gun, nah, unless you can't accurately hit the target. Hit the target first, no matter what gun used.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote