Find
Notify
Tools

Help Please! Game Camera Fiasco
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted
I've had a digital trail camera up for about a year in one location and decided to move it to another lease that I've had where soybeans are planted. The lease is adjacent to a county road and is easily accessible. Twice in the last two weeks someone has taken the camera off a tree, tossed it about 10 ft. and kept the straps that were securing it. The only people that could've been in there is an oil drilling crew and the ranch hands in the local area. What am I going to do?? Mad

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy an old grizzly bear leghold trap and start checking the local ER's.
Big Grin
MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got some coyote traps and some conibears...hmm. When I found the camera it was laying face down in the dirt and the straps were gone. It had one picture of a doe on it which looks like it was taken as if the camera was sitting on the ground at an angle. If I knew how to post a picture on here I'd show it to you.

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
That is wierd??? Why wouldn't they steal the camera? Any pictures on the camera of the perp?

Any chance the straps are shinny and appeal to a coon?

Maybe you just need to hide it better!

After you relocate it (and hide it better) Put a second camera (well hidden) higher in a tree facing the "bait camera" see if you can get a picture of the perp. Or get an old camera that does not work, use it as bait with a second camera well hidden taking pictures of the "bait camera".

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was the only picture on the camera.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The date is off on the camera, I know. The straps were black cloth, so I don't think that it would be a coon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about "Skunk Scent" on the cloth?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why someone would keep the straps but not the camera!!!!

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I couldn't figure out! But, I put it back up with bailing wire Big Grin and it has not been disturbed, so I get the feeling that it could have been a pack rat. Who knows?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Can you lock it to a tree?

A steel cable and pad lock will not be un-stopable but, it may keep them from messing. You are lucky they didn't steal it.

I agree w/ the others that you may should put it in a different spot and try and hide it w/ a brush top if you can.

Some people are just plain sorry. We've had problems in a few spots w/ deer stands and feeders being stolen.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are in the Southwest near the border, some illegal immigrants may have confiscated your straps to replace a worn-out belt---

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
This is why I don't mess with those things, even on private ground.

Last year My uncle had a "friend" who was not the saviest of hunters and then one day he said he had found the dumbest hunter in the world.

We then found out that he had pulled down 12 trail cameras in this one area and he thought the guy forgot about them.

I informed him that they are left up year-round and he thought I was crazy.

Think that would tick you off?!?!?

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have another trail cam, set it up (inconspicuously) to monitor the one these guys are messing with, maybe you'll catch them in the act and nail their asses.

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine had a similar problem once. He had a camera set up and someone would come and take the film, but leave the camera. Pretty annoying.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote