New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alright, for curiosity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to list a few rifles and scopes and see how you guys would pair them. Try to use only the ones listed and lets say scopes can be taken off of one rifle and moved to another if necessary. Keep in mind the scope length and bases. Some may not have bases and you can make suggestions for bases and rings. Here it goes.

Brown Precision 7mm Mag. with extension bases and a Leupold 2x7 in Millet rings.

Remingtion Mtn. Rifle 270. with Redfield bases and a Leupold Compact 2x7

Remington KS Safari SS with extension bases and a Schmidt & Bender 1 1/4x-4x in a type of Redfield ring 30mm of course.

Winchester Model 70 375H&H unscoped no bases.

Weatherby Classicmark 300 Wby. with Redfield bases and rings.

Mauser 416 Taylor. no bases.

Scopes not on rifles:
Nickel Supra 2 1/2x-6x short tubed. 27mm tube.
Swarovski 4x also kind of short tubed.

O.K., Now what are personal reccommendations for the ideal scope for each rifle.
Let's see who all will agree.

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would put Leupold 2.5x8's on all the "small" bore rifles. They have good glass, are compact, and have positive click adjustments.
I would put S&B 1 1/4x4 scopes on the 375 and up rifles. Might even get a lighted reticle.
This way all the scopes would be familar to your eye as you switched rifles. The scopes you have now could be sold or used as spares.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
High praise for the 2.5x8's, what about the short eye relief on the Schmidts. I had one on a 375 JRS Mag. and it seemed to get a little close to the eye pretty regularly.

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote