New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 Model 70. Do I get it?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have found a Pre 64 257 roberts that has been changed to a 25-06. I have not seen it yet but I have been told it is about in 70% condition. I am thinking about getting it for a shooter, but I have two 270's. What price shold i look at. He was asking 600 and when I said "I don't know about a changed gun" He dropped to 400.00
I know it is hard to say what it is worth but I have to drive 2 hours just to see it. I am not sure how much I need it. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action is worth more than $400.00 as long as it hasn't been Bubba'd up.....

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll start by saying I'm not a Winchester fan. Not a basher, just never fell in or out of love with them. Secondly, you didn't define shooter. I have no safe queens.

Personally, 70% condition won't get me off the couch, condition is subjective to the beholder. 98% and 95% are pretty well understood. What does 70% get the buyer - strike 1. I love older guns, but this one's been changed (done right?) strike 2. He dropped $200 and you haven't even seen it yet, strike 3. Too many variables for me. Is the Pre-64 Win that valuable to you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron,

Check very carefully to see what work has been done to the action. A 25-06 is quite a bit longer than a 257 Roberts so unless it's a long action it had to be modifiin some way.

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
As long as the action hasn't been butchered (extra holes, excess polishing, bolt handle altered, etc.) it's easily worth over $400 for parts.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
98% and 95% are pretty well understood. What does 70% get the buyer - strike 1. I love older guns, but this one's been changed (done right?) strike 2. He dropped $200 and you haven't even seen it yet, strike 3. Too many variables for me.

Well it could be a 70 or an 80% rifle if it was me Id check for my self or call and see what the guy really knows about rifles,if he cant answer the basic questions Id pass.
But maybe to him the 70% relates to the stock not having any finish left or the bluing is 30% gone.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron if I were you I'd go and take a look at it, if you decide not to go with it please pm me and let me know where it's at.

Many thanks

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few questions to ask before buying a “used†rifle of any manufacturer:

1. Do you know the previous owner(s) and how he cared for the firearm? Not the obvious external rust and termites, but rather how is the Throat or Lead?
2. Speaking of rust and termites, have you looked for rust with the stock removed?
3. Have you had the Bolt apart to see what condition it is in?
4. Did a previous owner shoot it as fast as he could while the barrel was too hot to hold?
5. Did a previous owner “Lap the Bore†to remove/hide pits?
6. Was a previous owner a reloader that believed it was OK to use Over-Loads?
7. How is the Headspace?
8. Has the barrel been set-back a thread?
9a. Why?
9. Has it been re-blued?
10a. Why?
11. Has the termite food stock been re-finished?
11a. Why?
12. Is the Recoil Pad in complete alignment all the way around?
13. Does the Front Sling Swivel stud make contact with the Barrel?
14. Is the Rear Sling Swivel in proper alignment?
15. Is the barrel completely Free Floated?
15a. Did it come that way from the factory?
15b. If it is different from the way it was shipped, why?
16. Has the stock been Bedded differently than as it left the factory?
16a. Was it done to repair or hide a split in the termite food?
16b. Does the termite food Warp?
17. Is the Trigger original?
17a. Any rust, built-up trash or residue within the Trigger recesses?
18. Does the Safety work properly?
And last but most certainly not least,
19. How much “Cumulative Metal Fatigue†does it have from all the previous years of use?

If you DO NOT HAVE good answers for those questions concerning the specific rifle, then they become reasons a person should consider not buying.
---

Some of the above probably won't concern you since you mentioned it has been re-barreled. But that also means some of the other questions become even more important.

Best of luck to you which ever way you go.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually he didn't say it was rebarreled, he said "changed". That would bring up my main question, was it rebarreled, or rebored, and why. Too bad it was changed, personally, I would prefer the Bob over the 25-06.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going right now to look at it. The gun was a 257 roberts. The man that owns it knows nothing about guns he said it was "changed" to a 25-06. I am assuming it is been rechambered tothe 25-06 and has the orignal barrel. I will let you guys know what I find. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Offer him $350. If the action hasn't been messed with, it is worth the it for the action.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As one who is not as knowledgable regarding gun value as most of you here, I have a question. What make a pre-64 more valuable/desirable than say a new M70 CRF? I presume nostalgia plays a part, but from a practical standpoint, wouldn't a more modern gun (with presumably better steel, etc.) be a better value. Not trying to start anything, I just want some opinions from folks who know. Thanks.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
I presume nostalgia plays a part, but from a practical standpoint, wouldn't a more modern gun (with presumably better steel, etc.) be a better value.

Not that i know anything about pre 64 rifles but IMHO older guns of most manufacture where better made than most new guns in these days!

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting and collecting Pre-64 Model 70's for over 25 years. You either like them or you don't. When you get the bug it is hard to get rid of. What was said before was accurate the action alone is worth $400.00. And to convert the gun from 357 to 25-06 only requires a change to the bolt stop. If you like the model 70 and want a 25-06 I would go look a it. If neither of those apply stay home a,d give the guys number to somoe here I am sure someone would be interested.