THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Ideas for TX Pronghorn/daughters/busy schedules

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for TX Pronghorn/daughters/busy schedules
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
Two daughters out of our four kids are very interested in hunting. They've each killed one very nice hill country whitetail buck that I put them on out of a blind a few years ago. They're now 21 and 24; a junior at Baylor and a 3rd-year med student at Amarillo respectively. Each year they say they want to hunt with me, I tell them not to worry about it with their schedules, the friends they want to see while they're home, etc. They say "Oh no, I really want to." I remind them they haven't practiced shooting enough to be fair to the animal. They say we'll go practice. Needless to say it never happens; they run out of time.

To make a long story longer - I'm thinking about trying to find a ranch in the panhandle (TX) that has 3 pronghorn permits. These girls are finally serious enough that they will go to a range in Waco and Amarillo (and at home) and periodically practice and get use to their rifles again over the summer. I believe I can put them on a pronghorn without a guide, so I'm trying to keep this affair within a reasonable budget.

1. Do you guys see any major flaws in this thinking? (Please keep it easy. Remember your talkin' 'bout my children here.)

2. Does anyone have any idea how I find a ranch this large without it being a fully guided affair?

Thanks in advance for your help. I know this is kind of an uphill battle, but just trying my darndest to keep a future generation of hunters coming up. I'm trying to hunt with them now before I have to pay for some penniless son-in-law too!

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Hi Cazador!

Although I cannot think of a ranch at this time, I've always thought that the best way to spend time with family is in the field.

I took my mom out opening morning for whitetail two years ago. Even though she isn't too fond of hunting, she obliged to spending a few hours freezing in the wind. I was able to take a 9 point buck with her next to me and she still talks about that hunt and how enjoyable it was.

Any outfitter you go with will most likely want to check to make sure the rifles are sighted in and/or you can make the shot. If your daughters are practicing I think this could easily be a hunt not forgotten.

Good luck!

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
You might also consider eastern New Mexico. I'm sure you could round up a few landowner certificates in the Roswell area. I suspect you could get them for about a grand apiece (maybe less), plus the cost of non-resident tags (about $300 or so). Some ranches might even have a place to stay. Try the Texas Predator Posse website. I don't know the url off the top of my head, but a search should turn them up. There are a couple fellows there that arrange hunts in NM and TX.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
www.TexasPredatorPosse.com

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Email me at ray@atkinsonhunting.com, I have a few ranches in New Mexico and Texas that do pronghorn hunts at reasonalbe prices..They are pretty close to Ammarillo btw. I also have some nice deer leases just a little South of Amarillo...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also do a search thru TP&W for the ranches having permits in that area. On request they used to send out a list of those ranches. Check with the TP&W biologist in Lubbock and Amarillo. I think I still have my list somewhere from several years back. That is how I found my antelope hunts before. Get ready, for that many permits they will be pricey. Typical Texas permit is running around 1500.00 now. There still may be some places that will sell at 500.00 but you will have to do some serious searching. Now is the time to start looking and calling.

If you go to New Mex. remember this, you still have to buy a license after you get the permit, another 200.00.

Bob

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have some tags in E. NM. E-mail me if you're interested.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I'll start looking.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote