THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    If a 300 Win Mag is an "Overgloified 30-06" then...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If a 300 Win Mag is an "Overgloified 30-06" then...
 Login/Join

<Caveman>
posted
I have read some posts about you guys opinion of the 300 Win Mag being an "Overglorified 30-06". If this is what you believe, then is a 7MM Rem Mag an "Overglorified .280"?

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
NO and NO!

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Corey,

I don't get worked-up about anyone's metaphoric comparison of cartridge x versus cartridge y. I study the ballistics that various cartridges are capable of, and make my choices accordingly. I'm not the least bit concerned of anyone elses opinion of how one compares to another. There is more than enough published data to make informed choices.

The only person I am looking to please with my choice of cartridges is myself. MM

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Problem is, folks get all hung up on what case they are using, when they should be concentrating on the bullets, as the bullet does the work.

So, lets look at the bullets, say a 180 gr .308" partition, does launching it 3000 fps vs say 2800 fps make it a tremendously more effective killer? Me thinks no, it doesn't. If you want to stretch the range a little bit, then yes, the extra speed helps.

If you want a bigger gun, then methinks you need a bigger gun, which means a larger dia bullet, and a heavier bullet.

Personally, I have a 308 win, and will likely be adding a 330 win mag to the fold. I've never shot an -06, and I have no personal need for one. That doesn't make it a bad round, nor one I couldn't put to use.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Paul H on this. The 2-300 fps advantage that the 300 mags over the .30-06 or the 7mm rem mag over the .280 doesn't make them kill any "better". It flattens their trajectories a bit but other than that they have pretty much the same terminal effect assuming you're using a properly constructed bullet that will assure complete penetration. I'm not as impressed by bullet weight as some are. I feel that a 150 gr partition will give the same results as a 180 gr partition out of a 30-06. If both will completely penetrate the animal you're shooting at then there's no reason to use the heavier bullet. Now if you're hunting something large enough to need the extra bullet weight to get complete penetration by all means use the heavier bullets. What I do feel makes a difference in killing effect is bullet diameter. Bullets that start out as large diameter bullets expand to even larger diameters on game. I feel a 180 gr bullet out of a 30-06 makes for a slightly more decisive killer than a 175 gr bullet out of a 7mm rem mag at approximately the same velocity because the 30 cal will expand to a larger diameter than the 7mm will, even though the 175 gr 7mm has a better sectional density. For the same reason I don't think a 250 gr .338 bullet is the equivalent of a 250 gr .375 bullet (assuming like velocities and proper construction). Bigger holes kill better.

<allen day>
posted
Basically, a .300 Winchester will deliver the same energy at 300 yards that the .30-06 will at 200 yards, plus have about a 50 yard increase of point-blank range with the same bullets when both cartridges are loaded to their full potential.

As I've said before, if that sort of improvement isn't worthwhile, then why not call the .30-06 a "glorified .300 Savage" and adopt that cartridge in its stead?

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with allan day. to carry this to it rather (ill)logical conclusion, a 22-250 is merely a glorified .223 which is a glorified 22LR; a 25-06 is a glorified .257AI, which is etc, etc. Improvements are rarely overwhelming leaps, but rather, are small imcremental advances. The real use of the magnums has been overlooked by the speed kills group. The advantage of a magnum isn't sending a like bullet downrange faster but a heavier bullet downrange without a loss of speed.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY. Amazing how many fail to grasp that concept.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Corey, as I know you shoot a 300 Win Mag, I assume you think the 300 Win Mag is a better round for certain applications... I agree!

We humans seem to have a "need" to compare one thing (cartridges) against another... even though they may be designed for entirely different applications. If I KNEW my shots were only going to be on dainty whitetails in the woods at ranges under 100 yards, I'd sooner have the aformetioned 300 Savage over a 300 Mag. Here in the west, with overlapping seasons and wide-open spaces, I'd never handicap myself with that fine, old round.

As Allen pointed out, a fifty yard PBR can really matter!

Brad

<Daddy2B8162>
posted
Corey, I have all 3... Alot depends on what your trying to put in the cooler and how far you want to shoot. All I know is that when I bought my 7mag, The 06 went in the safe, and when I bought my 300mag the 7mm went in the safe.

<ultramag>
posted
I guess if everbody is bored w/ comparing things to one and other then we can close up shop and go home.

<Hooligan>
posted
I have a Sako 75 SS in 300 win mag, and my best mate has a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 30-06. Both Beautiful rifles, both beautiful calibres... Having shot both I certainly believe the 300 win mag has got quite an edge over the 30-06, but that is not to say that the 30-06 is under-powered.... Just my thaughts on the matter