Find
Notify
Tools

Need tissue samples!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted
Hi All! I am looking for a few people who would be willing to send me some muscle tissue samples of deer. I appreciate those who have helped before as hunters always seem to step up to the plate when it comes to conservation etc.

Here is exactly what I am looking for:

1) Whitetailed deer taken in Kentucky.
2) Mule deer taken along California-Nevada border.

Deer from other areas are not needed at this point. If this is something you could help with, please PM me and I'll send you specifics. Basically I'll be sending you a small tube with alcohol in it and I need you to cut about a 1/2" cube of muscle tissue, place in the tube and send it back to me.

Thank you again!

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Careful, I think there are some restrictions on this in some areas concerning CWD.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
IV

What type of reserch are you doing? Inquiring minds want to know...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I hunt KY all the time. A friend will be down this weekend for opening gun. I could ask him too.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I am doign some exploratory work on hybridization between muleys and whitetails. The samples will be used to determine baseline allele sizes at varying loci (genetics mumbo jumbo)for the two species.

And, yes, as always, CWD concerns are valid and before anything is done all restrictions/ permits/ animal use stuff etc. will be addressed but CWD restrictions typically involve brain/spinal tissue etc. I am just looking for folks willing to participate as I believe hunters should have the opportunities to be involved with management/research whenever possible, not just stopping by game check stations!

Thanks guys (and gals)!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote