Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber applications
 Login/Join

posted
I am new here and am wondering if some members could tell me what these calibers are best used for(NA game). Whitetail, Mulies, Wild Boar, Black Bear, Elk, Moose, Maybe Caribou, and Cat.

.25-06, .270, 7mm RM, .308, .300 WM

I know all of these calibers can be used for multiple game. But what are they best for. Also I have a hankering to pick up one or two more guns. I am thinking of maybe a .338 and a 7mm STW. But I am not sure that the STW will be to close to the 7mm RM or a 7mm-08. Or if maybe I should hve the &mm reamed to an STW.

Thanks in advance,

CnP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you overlook the 30-06? It has taken every single animal in north america and many in the rest of the world including the ultimate 2 legged game worldwide!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a 30-06. Every thing else is gravey!!! capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to make it simple, with the right projectile, a 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag or a 300 Win Mag will cleanly kill anything on the North American Continent. Some shoot a little flatter, some shoot heavier bullets. All in that range are excellent choices that you will never see the difference in the field during hunting circumstances.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am new here and am wondering if some members could tell me what these calibers are best used for(NA game). Whitetail, Mulies, Wild Boar, Black Bear, Elk, Moose, Maybe Caribou, and Cat.

I know all of these calibers can be used for multiple game. But what are they best for. Also I have a hankering to pick up one or two more guns. I am thinking of maybe a .338 and a 7mm STW. But I am not sure that the STW will be to close to the 7mm RM or a 7mm-08. Or if maybe I should hve the &mm reamed to an STW.

This is what I would consider the following cartridges best for (the opinions of others no doubt will differ):

The .25-06 is excellent for varmints and deer and acceptable to animals the size of elk. It wouldn't be my cartridge of choice for bear.

The .270 Winchester is excellent for deer and suitable for all the animals you mentioned.

The 7mm Remington Mag. has a reputation for accuracy, is excellent for all the animals on your list and is suitable for any game in North America. Recoil isn't too bad either.

The .308 Win. is good for anything from varmints to all the animals on your list. With bullets up to 168 grains, it really performs about like a 30/06 and has a reputation for excellent accuracy potential.

The 300 Win. Mag. would be an excellent choice for all animals on your list but you will pay the price with fairly heavy recoil. It's suitable for any game animal in North America.

The 7mm/08 is an excellent cartridge with a great reputation for accuracy at very acceptable recoil. It is great for varmints and deer sized animals and can be used for the other animals on your list though I'd probably pick a little bigger cartridge.

Look at the 7mm Rem. Mag. vs the 7mm STW ballistics. The 7mm STW doesn't have much on the 7mm Rem. Mag. and uses more powder, is harder on barrels and ammunition is probably a bit harder to come by.

The .338 Win. Mag. will have quite stout recoil and has plenty of power and to spare for any North American game animal. Many would consider it's best use to be on animals such as the great bears, moose and elk.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gather from your post you may already have a 7mm Rem.? If so add a .338 to your battery and go hunting. I don't think I'd rechamber to STW unless you just gotta have one. Academics aside, in the end it's still a 7mm bullet being delivered.

There are no flies on any of the calibers you mentioned. Though I think that the .30's are optimum for the animals you listed with my preference going to the .300 Wby.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CnP,

The 338 Win Mag is arguably the most versatile cartridge for North America. There is no finer Elk cartridge in my opinion using premium bullets. If you are a handloader it can be loaded down for deer with the Barnes X160gr or 185gr TSX for low recoil flat shooting or cranked up for the big Brownies with the hard hitting deep penetrating A-Square 250gr Dead Toughs. In a well stocked rifle the recoil is no worse than a 7 Mag with the lighter loads.

I am a big believer in bullet diameter, and as the years go by I tend to lean to the 338-06 A-Square and 35 Whelen over any of the fast sub 30 cal rifles, except for antelope hunting. They are capable of 300yds without holdover and deliver the instant knockdown power of the bigger frontal bullet diameter.

As boring as it sounds there is nothing wrong with the 30-06 with heavy premium bullets.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Jusat do like the rest of us, buy one of each as soon as possible. As was said, until you get past elk, the 25-06 will handle most of the species you mentioned. If you are after a "One Gun Do It All" then the 30-06 or either the 300 Win.Mag. or 300 Weatherby Mag. will fill the bill in North America and a lot of other places as well. For a little more power, either the 338 Win. or 340 Weatherby. You can always bite the Bullet so to speak and jump off with a 375 H&H and you are pretty well covered Planet Wide.

Check out all the ones you mentioned, find one you like and go with it till you get tired iof it, then get another. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a 7mm mag now and you get a 338win you would be covered. If you want an STW get one. I have one and it works very well on game. No a 7mm Rem is not close to a 7mm STW either. That is like saying a 338win is close to a 340 Weatherby. I am shooting 180 Bergers as fast as most 7mm can shoot 140gr bullets and that is why I went from a 7mm to an STW.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CnP:

CnP

As already mentioned, in skilled hands any of the mentioned can be used in a wide variety. But I feel that some of them are particularly well suited for;

25-06- Antelope

270- the quintessential Deer rifle, gives up very little to the 7mmRM.

7mm Rm- Very versatile, outstanding for cross canyon shots @ large deer. Can be handloaded to take anything in NA.

308- accels at killing radical Islamic snipers. Excellent choice for the one gun hunter IMHO. Deadly accurate reputation.

300 WM- Delivers 200 gn pills to big Elk like the 270 works on deer. Fine choice for that purpose, but a bit much for anything less. In other words, not really nessecary for smaller critters. Works! But so does a 257 Roberts. Your level of masticisim may vary.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR.

If you have a 7mm RM you've got a vast majority of true "needs" covered. But having said that.........

I have a .25-06 that gets used a lot as a dual purpose 'yote and deer rifle.

I have a .308W that has become a truck gun as it's a short barreled carbine with a low power scope. It works for what needs killin' regaurdless of which season. I don't shoot it as well as some others but for a quick shot it's perfect.

I have a .30-06 that rarely gets used. and skipped the .300's and went to a .338 WM and love it. It's the cat's meow as far as elk are concerned.

If you have a 7mm RM then a smaller rifle makes a lot more sense to me than a bigger one, unless Coastal bear or Grizz are in the near future. I have a .257 Roberts that is an even more friendly dual purpose than the .25-06 IMHO.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CnP, All of the cal. listed are good one's for NA game.If I were you, I think I would go bigger. 7MM STW. is only pinch more than 7MM REM., and 338 WIN. only A tad more than 300 WIN., neither one will net A big gain. move up to 375 H&H, 375 RUM., now you have A heaviy hitter.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7mm rem mag will work for all the mid sized NA stuff. No real "NEED to get another gun". Now "WANT to get another gun" puts things in another perspective. The limits there are your imagination and pocketbook. For practicality sake,Get a 375 for anything really big and you are ready planet wide with 2 guns. Well the larger whales may need a bigger gun. I think in this day and time you will have to poach them anyway. Also you will need a bigger trophy room if you whack a large Cetid. Wink Have a great day, and have fun gun shopping. "D"

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something in 6.5 would also be a good choice toward the lighter end of the spectrum. It will easily go from varmints up through caribou. More moose are killed with the 6.5 x 55 in Scandnavia every year than all other calibers combined. So if you can place your shot well, it will do on the big end also. Although a 7mm or 338 would be better on moose and elk.

Bullets are available from 85 to 160 grains, with higher BCs and SDs for their weights than similarly weighted and heavier bullets in both larger and smaller calibers. Velociety is well maintained. These long skinny bullets buck the wind like on ones business and shoot flat. Penetration is fantastic and you don't need premimum bullets to get it, and high velocities aren't needed to get excellent game performance with the 6.5s.

Available platforms are the 260 Rem, 6.5 x 55, 6.5 x 284, 350 Remington Magnum, 6.5-06 and the 264 Winchester Magnum, all of which are factory available except the 6.5-06...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scr83jp:
Did you overlook the 30-06? It has taken every single animal in north america and many in the rest of the world including the ultimate 2 legged game worldwide!
Check out http://www.z-hat.com for some 06 based ammo. The 30-06 may have the widest choice of bullets weights from 90gr to 250gr if one handloads .