Find
Notify
Tools

Old School Hunting Camp
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted
Wall tent, gas lantern, cooking on a grate over a fire..........

No generator, no TV with a satellite dish on the cushy trailer with a microwave, etc, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerosene lantern, cast iron skillet, dutch oven, (Mr. Coffee plugged into power inverter in truck), Homemade Skittercan with paper

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ours was called "The Boars Nest." spray painted on the side of an 8x8 plywood box with built in sleeping shelves (The dogs slept under the bottom shelf).

We built it out of plywood, 2x4's and tin using a chainsaw for cutting. 4 guys built it in one weekend.

If it rained, the trucks would not make it across the creek and we would have to walk in.

My lodge now has sattelite and is nicer than anyplace I ever lived in college, but I swear, I really miss "The Boars Nest".

The deer there were not big, but the pigs were plentiful.

Now that I think about it, I do not believe I ever shot anything there. That thought never occured to my until just now.

I miss that place. Good times ... sho nuff good times.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan R. McDaniel, Jr.:
Kerosene lantern, cast iron skillet, dutch oven, (Mr. Coffee plugged into power inverter in truck), Homemade Skittercan with paper

Alan

Mr. Coffee pluged into the truck... What kind of Sissy camp is that. Eeker Confused

What ever happened to Cowboy coffee?

Sorry, just kidding, could not resist. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do take the coffee and pour it into a camp pot and keep it warm by the fire. I used to make it on the fire but I need the coffee before I can make the fire these days. When I get up I'm ready to drink coffee. Everyone else stays in bed unil they're sure I've at least poured a cup if not finished the first one. Then I'm sociable, not before. I don't drink or smoke any more, mostly because I wake up felling like I have a hangover every morning anyway. If I don't have the electric pot I make it the night before and heat it first thing. It's one of my only few vices these days and I do it well. But, I only like and drink coffee in the morning. I don't drink it all day like some folks.

Oh, and I'll gar-ron-tee you that if "cowboys" had had Mr. Coffee they would have used it!

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geeeez, Take a thermos. Before going to bed, fill thermos with coffee. when you get up, pour coffee into cup, drink coffee whilst making fire and boiling water for fresh coffee. It ain't rocket science, guys. Wink

(it also works if you travel and spend a lot of nights in motels too. I hate having to put my clothes on before having my first cup) Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
Is this old school enough for you? It used to be a County voter booth that my great grandfather bought and moved it onto our farm. We used to sleep in it up until a few years back when the floor finally caved in. You had to learn how to sleep in it with one eye open to watch the rats. My dog prefered to sleep outside because of it.

This is our crapper.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No generator, no TV with a satellite dish on the cushy trailer with a microwave, etc, etc.

OLD SCHOOL???? Eeker

You mean there is another way? bewildered

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry. There's been many a morn that I stuck the pot in the coals, built the fire around it and dumped the coffee straight in. As soon as it boils take it off the fire and pour a cup of cold water in to settle the grounds, wait a couple of min and administer to the patient.

I prefer Mr. Coffee. I've done the thermos thing too but it's just one more thing to wash and difficult to wash at that since it rolls around in the floor of my truck for a week. I'll take a thermos of coffee with me to the stand on a cold morning (we have two of those each year) but don't usually.

Alan

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
You mean there is another way?

Apparently, and a trailer full of ATV's seems to go along with it. stir

Alan, I'll give you a pass on Mr. Coffee, but only because it will kill the battery in your truck one night. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I don't leave it on. I seldom work off of the inverter if the truck is not running. Had pretty good luck so far though.

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:

That pretty much describes my hunting camps for the last 20 years BUT, just before last hunting season I bought a 30' travel trailer and enjoy the hell out of the comforts!

I wouldn't hesitate to set up hunting camp in the wall tent again but only if I can't get the "camper" there. hillbilly

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
just built one 2 years ago. An oak framed cabin in the back 40. It 20x 20 with a rin roof and a porch to sit on in the rain.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan

Just kidding.

I like my morning coffee first thing too.

In fact even when back packing we sometimes carry a good thermos, fill it with hot water, from the evening fire, so we can make coffee before we rejuvinate the morning fire.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently, and a trailer full of ATV's seems to go along with it.

You should see the Utards roll in here come deer or elk season, many times while visiting with one of the group, you find out only one or two actually drew a tag, but there are 3 to 5 armed men in, or around camp. bewildered

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that when I go "old school", I spend more time tending to the camping than I do to hunting. I love to do both but when I am serious about the hunting and meat prep I stay in the camp house and when I am less serious about the hunting I like to tend camp and cook "a la cast iron". Then I don't mind making my coffee on the fire. I have gotten more into that aspect in recent years. The boys go hunting and I tend camp and cook.

I usually take a truckload of stuff, thats why I have a truck.

Alan

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like to tend camp and cook "a la cast iron".

"Uncle Charlie"!!, every hunting camp needs to have an Uncle Charlie thumb

I have damn good memories of some of the old guys who just loved going and did all the cooking. One was an old Mexican guy who was retired Navy and did BBQ catering. Master of the Grill and Dutch oven. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go by "Uncle Bubba". Damn it's good to be from Texas!

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

What ever happened to Cowboy coffee?

Cowboy coffee!!! I love it!! Big Grin
My problem is finding a clean sock.... Big Grin

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And plenty of good old, time proven, never fail, always work, non-harmful to the environment, Lead Core Bullets. rotflmo BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing like sitting in a wall tent at 7000+ feet, stove burning away, a dutch oven full of last years elk in a stew and pot of coffee on the stove, with the flap open and watching it snow. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think kudu56 summed it up pretty good

Posts: 84 | Location: Cleveland Tx | Registered: 25 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate. I was married to a wife that loved to camp --tent camp with all the words implied-- and didn't hunt. To her, luxury was when we switched from colman fuel to propane so she didn't have to pump the stove up in the morning. Big Grin
First year B-I-L (her brother) and his wife went up with us and first night, around the camp fire, BIL whipped out his cell phone. Wife gave him about a 60 second stare (read glare) and asked, "is this an emergency?" When he said it wasn't, she said, "then put that @#!!&$!! up. You ain't that important and we come up here to get away from stuff like that!"
So, I guess she was "Uncle Charley". It was pretty nice to come in, tired and hungry, to a shot of pain killer and hot grub and a queen-sized air mattress made down with flannel sheets and a down comforter and some big, floppy wool lined bootees to wear around camp and a tarp rigged to cut the wind and...... Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveM70:
quote:

That pretty much describes my hunting camps for the last 20 years BUT, just before last hunting season I bought a 30' travel trailer and enjoy the hell out of the comforts!

I wouldn't hesitate to set up hunting camp in the wall tent again but only if I can't get the "camper" there. hillbilly

thumb

It has less to do with age then it does mindset. I look at it very simply, I can afford and enjoy a comfortable 5th wheel so why not make it the "hunting camp" as well. Honestly I don't watch the TV anyway but I sure as heck sleep well. Get up in the morning, crank up the generator and brew some fresh coffee. Of course at that point I still cook outside whether over the fire or the camp stove. I just bring more comfort with me now days.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I was prepared to rough it but I stay with my wife's cousin who's a corden bleu chef and whose house is in the middle of my hunting grounds. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
Well I was prepared to rough it but I stay with my wife's cousin who's a corden bleu chef and whose house is in the middle of my hunting grounds. Big Grin

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

my camp is a bit different,you start w/2 14x20 waterproof tarps and a hand full of bailing twine.1 on the ground,1 for the roof.tuck the weather side of the roof to the ground and build fire in front.horse blankets for a bed and including the food you have a 100 lb camp/=( 1 horse.)the reflective yellow cans are grizzly bear proof containers.can't bite,crush or carry them away.gives you plenty of time to sic the dogs on'em.bought me a new tarp this year!!! i'm so proud!!! leaving the 25th of sept for 7,no 10,or 12 maybe 15 days of back country elk slaying.
the confusion is what sort of reaction i'll get when she says "when you gonna be back"? and i say "15 days from tomorrow" heh heh.
whatever camp nitch or cave the rest of you find yourselves in this year have plenty of fun and do it safe and lets all meet back here and build a BIG computer campfire and swap some stories,best of luck to you

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys don't know what old school is.. A wall tent with a wood stove was the base camp. From there we would take off for 2 or 3 days with just a sleeping bag and a few cans of food. "Camp" would be the first level spot we found close to dark. Dinner would be a grouse we killed with a stick cooked over an open fire. Breakfast was a can of peachs. Lunch... what was that... Water was gotten from streams you crossed. After a few days of this you would end up back at base camp for a good meal, a good nights sleep and do it all over again. That is real old scool...

Posts: 549 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MtElkHunter:
You guys don't know what old school is.. A wall tent with a wood stove was the base camp. From there we would take off for 2 or 3 days with just a sleeping bag and a few cans of food. "Camp" would be the first level spot we found close to dark. Dinner would be a grouse we killed with a stick cooked over an open fire. Breakfast was a can of peachs. Lunch... what was that... Water was gotten from streams you crossed. After a few days of this you would end up back at base camp for a good meal, a good nights sleep and do it all over again. That is real old scool...

I remember those days. To many years ago now, and the knees are to far gone from my wreak. I do miss trapesing around the mountains for days on end. Now days a sleeping bag in the back of the Bronco is base camp. To hard getting of the ground in the morning anymore for tent living.
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote