Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Elk Hunting Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
My best friend lives in Boise now, but has never big game hunted. He does shooting competitions and loads his own ammo. His big game rifle is a 338 Win Mag.

I'd like to go on a self-guided elk hunt with him in Idaho. What is a good unit for a resident to buy an OTC tag for a bull? Doesn't have to be a trophy bull unit, just a place where he has a good chance at a bull. And if he can't find a bull, is the tag either sex?

Also, if the unit is one that I can draw for or buy a tag, that would be a plus; but the priority for the hunt is him.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I'm clueless, but maybe the Idaho reg's list numbers of applicants, percentage of successful applicants, percentage of successful hunters etc,...?

I've been applying for Oregon and Nevada for a number of years and have noticed similar statistics.

A hunting area with good draw success rates and good "Hunter Reduced To Possession Rates," may be a profitable place to start.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out idaho fish and games web site. You can read up on every unit, check seasons, weapons, number of tags and success and size information and learn what your options are. Spend the time "hunting" for the best fit. You deprive yourself of a significant portion of the hunting experience if you don't do this.