Find
Notify
Tools

Caribou hunt in Quebec
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello
Some friends and I are thinking of booking a caribou hunt with Ungava Adventures and I wonder if anyone has first-hand experience with these outfitters?
Thank you

By the way, what's the typical distance caribou are shot?

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes,two times....

The single most organised outfitter I have ever had the pleasure to meet.Everyone in the outfitting business should be taking lessons from him and his daughter.

From a pre trip meeting the night before your flight,to having meat vacuum packed and in a refer. truck for a trip home waiting by 4 am when you get back the previous night.

Great guides and plenty of good food,real home cooked stuff,not just a couple of cans opened up and dumped in a pan.

Can you tell I like them?

I fish farther south in Quebec,and know a few of his bush pilots that work the hunting season father north.

Shots are anything from 75 to 250.Most being in the 150 or a bit under range.Depends on area,some have a lot of stunted trees farther south and a little more cover.But you don't need to shoot 400 yards unless you have the skills and want too.Caribou are soft;they kill real easy for the size animal.Any bullet in the shoulder will do them in on the spot.

I have hunted in a t-shirt to blizzard in one week.Take layers,so you can dress up and down.I took a 20 degree sleeping bag the first trip and sweated my a$$ off.A 40 went the next time.

He's not cheap,but the flight to Kuujjuaq is a huge portion of his expense and part of your trip.Best food I have ever eaten on an airline,yum.

The hunts out of Schefferville are not anywhere near as good,I would avoid them.The big bulls don't get there until after most forgien hunter have left,most years.

I'd post pics but all my shots are on film and I have never scanned them.Just switched to digital 2 years ago.

Take a cheap single shot light weight shot gun for Ptarmagin. I bought an $69 NEF 20ga to throw in the kit and a box of shells.Good fun and they are everywhere.License is cheap and you buy it right in camp.A catch and release fishing license is $7! a bargain for 5 lb. brookies and 20lb. lakers.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dinsdale, I really appreciate you taking the time for such a thorough and helpful answer. My friend interviewed a few outfitters and got the best vibes from Ungava.

Thank you again!

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You get two tags for up there,but bou' hunting can be feast or famine.We did the standard 3x1 deal not the 1x1

If you go trust your guides;on my first trip the prior group had to really work for their animals,and when we landed there had to be 5000 in a mile radius from camp.Everyone(8 hunters) had one down the first day.

Then a coule guy's got kinda excited seeing these huge racks,and shot a second.For a guy who at that time never hunted anything but whitetail;caribou horns are BIG.The guides made it clear,that they were good representative antlers,and it was the hunters choice.

Well,some bad feelings started flowing,cause me and a guy from Wyoming held out,and were being selective.The guy's who tagged out got all pissy with us,cause a couple days later we both shot smokin' animals the day after a blizzard rolled thru the area.And they wished they had a tag left....

Good hunting...

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Oxon,

Of all the game I have hunted, Caribou has to be the biggest "crap shoot"! I went on four guided Caribou hunts before I took a bull. The first two hunts were in Quebec, the third was in N.W.T. and the fourth was back in Quebec.

Since Caribou are a migratory animal they are very hard to pin down to a specific area. And when they move, there's no catching them. The outfitters will try to move you, however in that country everything, including flying, is dependent on the weather.

My first two trips I saw a total of maybe 20 Caribou, cows and calves only. Trip number three, I never saw a single Caribou but I took a nice Muskox, so all was not lost.

Trip number four was like a scene from National Geographic, there were Caribou walking through the middle of camp! My fourth trip was with Safari Nordik (www.safarinordik.com). I was very happy with everything on that trip. If you want more information, send me a p.m.

Good Luck,

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bowhunr...I'd be curious to note who your first two trips into Quebec were with?

If you note Safari Nordic(who are now the biggest outfitter in the world now,by hunter numbers); and Ungava share the same principles ideals of multiple locations, and they hunt adjacent areas,Ungava a bit farther to the south.

And yes,weather always plays a role,of course where in the world doesn't it? But most guy's that are at the top, pretty much know what camp to place hunters in on the way out.That's why SN they can claim their money back guarantee for 99% on one bull.

The next outfit south is Alan Tardiff;Leaf River Adventures(?) and to the west of Tardiff is a company called Cargair.Cargair is an extension of Air Monte Laurier and they run some self guided hunts out of LG4.The parent company is one of the fishing outfitters I have used in the south,and they have one of the largest fleet of private planes in Quebec.There is a string of dams that supply power to Montreal,that runs east to west and is about the southern limit to their range,and where they winter.LG 4 is one of those lakes.

All three of them hunt in a line north to south as the herd moves south out of it's summer calving grounds.

There are certainly some others but the first three have had good reports for some time and all are about the same price.My taxidermist hunts with Tardiff every year and does well.

If you go here;

http://www.mrn.gouv.qc.ca/engl...aps-caribou/maps.jsp

You can track the herds movements through the year,it became so accurate they had to suspend weekly updates during the fall season,for hunters were using the info for camp locations.

The "green" group Safari Nordic,Ungava,Tardiff,and Cargair hunt....they are at Raddison now in there wintering grounds.

There are a couple of outfitters who do winter hunts in those areas,about 20 hrs drive from Montreal.They are pretty cheap ($1400) for a 4 day hunt,but its self guided and they give you info where animals are and a place to sleep and cook.

I've traveled in that area in summer up to some Cree native places to do a little fishing.I've used Air Mont Lauier to fish from Gouin Resovoir to Misstissani area(those are well south for caribou).

If you go to Quebec tourism and look for a map Nord-Du-quebec,it has a listing of outfitters,where some of their main camps are and what they hunt/fish for.Good reference material if your planning to head up that way.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
The first trip was in 1987 with Ungava Bay Outfitters. That was right about the time the herds drastically changed their migration route and they simply didn't have camps along the new routes, or so we were told.

Second trip was in 1999 with Club Chambeau out of Schefferville. I would never do another hunt based out of Scheff. for the exact reasons you mentioned in your earlier post.

Yes I agree weather plays a part in any type of hunting, but in my limited experience it is much greater with Caribou. A cold snap can drive the bulk of the herd through an area in a matter of hours, and warm weather can lay a herd down for days with no way to reach them.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shefferville stuff is just a disaster at times,hear you there...

Agree on the weather issue too....

Dinsdale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three of us will go this Sept to Ungava. All set except for dates.

Is early in Sept a better chance than late?

Thank you all for the info so far! Very helpful.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
late - you can get weather, but the biggest bulls bring up the rear of the herd

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote