New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off to Maine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We are headed to Maine on Sunday for the first week of bear season......Hopefully I will have better luck than I did in BC last year....didn't even see one......beautiful scenery, lots of Elk and Moose..even a huge Griz....no black bear.

I think I jinxed myself last year by taking a new gun instead of my first deer rifle (.44 mag Marlin, hence the forum name .44) it was jealous and put some kind of Mojo on me.

So this year I will be using old faithful with some Buffalo Bore 270gr +P.......Hope the bear isn't over 500lbs.......if it is, well I guess thats why you have 11 shots.

See you in 10 days.......

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.44-Good luck to you.I,m headed to Maine on Saturday for the first week of bear season.I've seen bear each year I've gone-02,03 and 04.In 02 I saw a yearling,let em go.In 03,I saw 3 yearlings,passed om them.In 04,I was in a ground blind and I caught a glimpse of a nice big bear.I'm pretty sure he scented me,because I didn't have an opportunity for a shot.I've been in search of the big one.Hopefully,this will be my year.I'm hunting with my 308 loaded with 150 grain TSX.

Posts: 51 | Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore | Registered: 12 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
Where in Maine are you guys headed??

I am looking forward to sitting on a bait myself, this year I am going to try and get one with a bow.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uglystick-I'll be hunting in Aroostook County,Northwest of Patten back in the logging roads.

Posts: 51 | Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore | Registered: 12 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
GOOD LUCK guys!

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I am going to Maine also this year, I am going Sept 10th, 3rd week of bear season. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to Oxbow Lodge....first class place....lot of bears killed (20+) including a first day 285lb bruin with a recurve bow--------

how did I do?

I am still jinxed--didn't even see one----just about 30 coyotes.....on the last day at the last 10minutes I finally lost my cool and took out one of the song doggies.......made me feel a little better.

I don't think Black bears actually exist and everyone is playing a form of "snipe hunt" with me...Smiler

I think I'll go Moose hunting next........

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .44:
I went to Oxbow Lodge....first class place....lot of bears killed (20+) including a first day 285lb bruin with a recurve bow--------

how did I do?

I am still jinxed--didn't even see one----just about 30 coyotes.....on the last day at the last 10minutes I finally lost my cool and took out one of the song doggies.......made me feel a little better.

I don't think Black bears actually exist and everyone is playing a form of "snipe hunt" with me...Smiler

I think I'll go Moose hunting next........

I came home empty handed also, I was looking for a bigger bear than I got last year. I saw bear but just to small. Oh well maybe next year.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote