New
Find
Notify
Tools

First antelope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm just trying to figure out how to post photos again. Its been awhile.

My first antelope. Taken in Montana with my 270 Win. and 130gr. ballistic tips at 140 yards.

Greg

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hey, congratulations! That is great. Did you hunt on your own?

How'd that Btip do, ie.-- Pass through? Exit?

Way to go.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Congrats...love those TC'sSmiler

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
He's a beauty 'eh.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work GRK! Like Doc, interested in the details on the B-tip, I think they are great, especially on antelope.
What kind of scope is that on you rig?

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Good on you..... cheers

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
This was a do it yourself, pitch a tent on public land, spot and stalk on foot type of hunt. The scope is an older Simmons 6-18 power. Not what I would normally use but I inherited it and thought I would give it a try. 18 power is a bit fuzzy with this scope. Kinda like my picture.( cheap camera, dusty lense ) I had scope set to 12 power when I shot.
The ballistic tip bullet did its job very well. The buck ran only 20 feet before going down. The bullet struck the left upper leg bone breaking it in two, traveled through the heart and came to rest against right leg bone. I found no exit hole. The jacket did seperate and I found no lead core except for a couple of specks of lead under the hide. The jacket weighed about 49 grains. The load was from Federal premium factory load. The meat was not overly blod shot in my opinion. I did not shoot many groups with this ammo.( too expensive ) I shot one group at 100, 200 and 300 yards to check ballistics. Group sizes were 1.187" at 100, .875" at 200 and 1.375" at 300 for 3 shots. Very accurate.

Greg

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Nice goat ! Public land no less! Great job.

I used the 140 gr Ballistic Tips in my .270 on my first pronghorn hunt last year.

I found the same great accuracy.

I'm not sure if it's the caliber or the bullets.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote