New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aligator hunt in Fla.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know of a good Aligator hunter in Florida. My son is home from several tours overseas, and I would like to take him on an Aligator hunt down there. I was thinking of an air boat and gun type hunt. Thanks, Mike338.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did one of these a couple years ago. Lot of fun. Public tags are on a drawing, so you will have to apply unless you get with someone that owns property or is a licensed alligator trapper. When I went, I did the hunt with a trapper.

Florida has about 3 dozen guys that are licensed by the state as alligator trappers. They get permits to take problem gators year round. For every permit they receive, they can take 5 gators and they can take them year round off both private and public ground. If you want to go out with them, you simply get an assistant license which costs about 60 bucks. They day I went, we took 3 gators, all on handlines. It was a lot of fun.

The guy I went with was named John French, but he passed away 2 years ago. He was partnered up with a guy named Dave Regel. You may be able to do a google search and find his contact info. I'm not sure if he has a web site or not, but he is a certified alligator processor, so he might.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Mac's info is all correct. I hunt gators each year but I hunt as a resident & draw tags. I use a cross bow or harpoon depending on where I hunt & man is it fun, nothing like taking a big lizard.

If I could make any recommendations I'd hunt South Florida, many more gators & plenty of cover makes for a easier hunt.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Try HHGatorhunts.com. They have a great reputation in the business and hunt the St. John's River area. They also offer many options.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote