Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Antelope hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted
I am trying to put together a DIY Antelope hunt for next fall and I wanted to start doing some research on areas. Since I live in MN and am driving the 2 logical states for me to go seem to be either MT or WY. Anybody have an opinion on one over the other for a NR hunter?

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many places in WY and MT have pretty good draws with lots of public land. Antelope numbers are off a bit in MT.

I think WY may have a better draw success with potential for over the counter tags. I am not familiar with the regions there so I can't point out the best places.

Currently FWP is issuing less antelope tags (across MT) than a couple years ago. I didn't draw my first choice tag in a region with 80% draw last year with 2 points. Region 7 will have the highest draw success but also receives the highest pressure on public land.

Potential changes proposed (to be released in a couple weeks) for 2010 in MT include changing archery tag deadlines to May 1 (first choice only) and opening rifle season on the Saturday before Columbus Day instead of the traditional Sunday.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
MThuntr- thanks for the info.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call the chamber of commerce of NE WY communities ... start with Gillette, but also places like Newcastle and Sundance ... also ask the Game and Parks of Wyoming for information on ranches that allow trespass fee hunting ... usually quite reasonable and great fun.

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
also ask the Game and Parks of Wyoming for information on ranches that allow trespass fee hunting ... usually quite reasonable and great fun.

Quite reasonable can mean different things for different folks. What does it mean in this case?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Variable ... I've paid $100 to $150 per person for 3 days of access several times ... heard of some that charge up to $400 for 3 days.

Generally, cheaper than a South Dakota pheasant hunt by far!

Public land hunts can also be very successful.

Try NE WY and Central Eastern WY ... Douglas, Lusk, and the areas above ... the CoC of the towns and the Game and Fish should have numbers for you.

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I looked at last years draw allotment for non-residents and was realy dissapointed in the numbers. I read here all the time how easy it is to get a tag in WY but I just don't see it that way.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I looked at last years draw allotment for non-residents and was realy dissapointed in the numbers. I read here all the time how easy it is to get a tag in WY but I just don't see it that way.

What were the numbers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Wyo, the key is to pick a spot with plenty of public ground and access. Anywhere around Big Piney, Wamsutter, Rock Springs and in some places in NE Wyo are wide open. Go and enjoy. It is a fun and easy hunt.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The further west, the tougher the draw, on average. Eastern WY is much better.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MN Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

What were the numbers?

You can download the PDF from the WY Game and Fish

http://gf.state.wy.us/

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your interested in MT let me know and I can direct you to which units to apply for and where to go. I won't do all your homework for but I'll help you out!

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are good goats in N.M. and Texas. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
For a first time hunt on public land, I'd recommend going with Wyoming. There are tons of antelope, leftover tags in good units, and if you don't mind paying reasonable trespass fees that are usually several hundred dollars, you can find some very good private land hunting. If you call the Wyoming Game and Fish office in Casper or Sheridan, you can get a list of landowners who allow hunting, and it'll have their phone numbers, as well as what they allow to be hunted on their land. We've done this before, and found some excellent hunting in the Kaycee, and Gillette areas. I've shot probably 10-12 pronghorns back there this way, and it is a very fun and affordable hunt. Good luck and ENJOY.

Posts: 3909 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote