THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Ya'll Were Right About My 25-06 and Elk

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ya'll Were Right About My 25-06 and Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last week's thread about my 25-06 as an elk rifle was right on the money. Just back from Meeker, Colorado, where my trusty 300 WinMag helped me harvest another tasty cow. (Having some summer sauasage as I type.) The shot was too long, so long I'm not real proud of it, and the 25-06 just wouldn't have cut it. But with the 300 WinMag, I've got meat on the table.
The hunt was good, seeing about 50-60 elk by 2:00 opening day. I was done by 2:30, taking a cow out of a herd of about 30-35. Stuck around till Tuesday, waiting for Brother's Meat Processing in Craig to finish carving my cow, and saw another hundred or so. My party of six had four by Tuesday noon, and I'm waiting to hear how they finished. If I'd had the private land, either sex tag, my cow could have been a good-sized 6X6 or better. But I'm a meat hunter, my freezer is full again, and I'm a happy camper
The highlights included a close experience with a big black bear and seeing and hearing a mountain lion take down a doe. The whole trip was better then a "Wild Kindom" rerun. Meeker rules!
Thanks again for the advice.

Posts: 244 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meeker does rule. Did you tell the folks at The VFW club "Hi" for me?

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
I didn't visit the VFW, so I couldn't give them your regards. The guys at BPOE, however, send theirs.

Posts: 244 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
<257 AI>
posted
Glad you had a good trip. I'm heading up there a week from Tuesday to fill my cow tag.