Notify
Tools

Ultimate Sportsmans Paradise
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Check this out:

http://www.national-auction.co...detail.php?id=162244

I just got a flyer in the mail on this auction. This is located about 45 miles south of my home. Truly beautiful country. A good opportunity for the well-resourced sportsman!

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No elk. It doesn't qualify as the "Ultimate Sportsman's Paradise" if it doesn't have elk.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Any idea what it will go for? I'm guessing they are looking for $3-4M?

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA DEER HUNTER:
Any idea what it will go for? I'm guessing they are looking for $3-4M?

Developed hunting lands in SC go from between $2,500 and $5,000 per acre. That is w/o buildings. Taking that range I'm guessing you are you are looking at $5 -$9 million. Add another half million for the buildings. But, in this economy, who knows?

From what I hear thru the grapevine, the family has moved to the west coast and wants to liquidate this property. No known distress or liens. It would be a great opportunity for 50-100 like-minded sportsmen/women to pool funds for a fantastic hunt club getaway. Or, one extremely wealthy individual. Or, buy it to run as a business. I believe the river is navigable from the plantation to Georgetown, SC where it empties into the Atlantic. This conjures a whole realm of possibilities for the fisherman/hunter or just for recreation.

posted Hide Post
Wow this is very close to where I'm from. Actually only about 30 miles. Very nice!

Posts: 17 | Location: Marion & Georgetown, South Carolina | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the same money in MT Wy Id one could have a lot better hunting property. Just my opinon

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
For the same money in MT Wy Id one could have a lot better hunting property. Just my opinon

Can you be in the Atlantic Ocean fishing for saltwater gamefish in 1 hr from there? Can you have dinner in Charleston, SC in 2 hrs and Savannah, GA in 3? Can you park a 32 ft Bertram behind your hunt lodge? Do you have whitetail deer, hogs, ducks, doves, bobwhite quail, largemouth bass, catfish, bream, and crappie at your back door? Can you sit around in shirtsleeves at Christmas and drink dark liquor by the river? Apples and oranges buddy. Low country SC is a different experience than the great NW. Both superb in their own way. It ain't all about huntin'. Why piss on someone elses parade?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Can you be in the Atlantic Ocean fishing for saltwater gamefish in 1 hr from there? Can you have dinner in Charleston, SC in 2 hrs and Savannah, GA in 3? Can you park a 32 ft Bertram behind your hunt lodge? Do you have whitetail deer, hogs, ducks, doves, bobwhite quail, largemouth bass, catfish, bream, and crappie at your back door? Can you sit around in shirtsleeves at Christmas and drink dark liquor by the river? Apples and oranges buddy. Low country SC is a different experience than the great NW. Both superb in their own way. It ain't all about huntin'. Why piss on someone elses parade?

Little touchy aint ya? Nobody is "pissing" on someone else's parade. It's just that for some of us, the "ultimate sportsman's paradise" wouldn't be this place. Different folks have different likes and dislikes.

For me, less than 2000 acres on the Pee Dee River isn't gonna cut it. 2000 acres may be a big chunck of land on the east coast, but to those of us raised in the Rockies, that's a small spread. And the fact that it has no elk, no bear, no pronghorn, no trout, no pheasants etc... means it isn't something I'd be personally interested in. If it interests you, then knock yourself out.

But don't be so surprised that others aren't as impressed with it as you are.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that being close to all those conviniences, means that your also close to a lot of other people.

I am sure the place is fantastic and has a lot of potential for the right person or group of people ith the money to spend.

Personally however, my vote goes to the Rockies.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Yep its Apples and oranges-- everyone has their own idea of paradise. I just get a kick out of most folks what they think a big ranch is. I grew up (and will inherit with my brother and sister) a 7,243 ac ranch in West/Central Texas while this is not huge by some West Texas standards it was a full time job for my father and brother/ who now runs it. It would also cost between 6-10 million to purchace one like it.

Most of the folks that talk about what a BIG ranch is dont own anymore than the 10,000 sq ft to 1 ac there house sets on. While that property looks nice--it looks like alot of work to me, but heck if I had the 7-8 millon to spare I could hire a care taker! Good luck with the sale!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote