New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black bear hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to hunt bear with rifle in northern Minnesota next year. We can bait bear here and I have private land north of Virginia, MN. Where can I get info to educate myself on the subject? Maybe some of you guys have some tips on baits and tactics to bring in some bear.

------------------
Endeavor to Persevere

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a little information on the forums in the MN DNR website.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what is legal for baiting? And container?

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I n Northern Wisconsin we are limited to 10 gallons of bait. We just dig a hole about 18" in dia a couple feet deep. But in any legal bait add some scent to bring them in. To stop the real small bears and coons most people place some 8"in or so logs over the hole along with a good size rock on top. I always like to dig up soil around the area rake it clean then you can get a good idea on what size bears are useing the bait by watch the tracks. I use ansise oil for scent seems to draw them in from a long ways.

I like placeing my baits along swamp edges just in side cover near good trees for stands. With your high bear population You but a bait out with in a couple of days you will have bears working it. Most people really use to much bait 10 lbs a day will keep bears coming back I normally start end of july every other day for a few weeks then two weeks before opening day I start baiting very day and add just a bit more bait then maybe something special like day old jelly donunts. We can not use meat or meat products nor honey for bait. If you have a bakery that you can buy old bread and pasty from for cheap 5 cents a lb or so that works really well. Some corn and sunflowers mixed in also works. I normal buy some feed molelass for sweetner.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote