THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Bear hunting in Ft Bend county Tex.-pics

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear hunting in Ft Bend county Tex.-pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you have heard some of my friends hunting stories from his ranch in South Texas. Pat is a BR Hall of Fame shooter and hunts his ranch 365 days a year. He usually gets about 100 hogs a year with rifle and another 100 with his bow. I hope you enjoy his bear hunt.

I grabbed my favorite longbow and headed out.

We enjoyed beautiful weather today with sun and 60' temps.. First decent day in some time, just had to take advantage of it ! Drove the truck as far as I could and unloaded the 4 wheeler.. The country is so wet even the buggy struggles in spots but I got to within 1/2 mile of my bait station and walked on in the rest of the way. I had to cross a creek to get to the stand, the creek was swollen from the recent rains. Unable to cross at my usual spot I walked up the creek several hundred yards to a less imposing crossing. A short time later I crawled into my treestand.
After about 30 minutes I saw this silver coon coming through the woods. We he got to the bait he kept brush between us so I was unable to shoot. Fifteen or twenty minutes later this blonde rascal came in from the south and walked on in like he owned the bait and I think the silver fellow believed it too ! Blondie offered me a good shot at about 15 yards almost immediatly. I reached full draw and concentrated on the sweet spot and let the string slip from my fingers. I watched the arrow all the way from the bow until I pinned him to the ground. He ran off the arrow, leaving it stuck in the mud but didn't make it ten or twelve steps before giving it up... Of course the other coon left for parts unknown!
Just a short time later here came another silver coon bigger than the first one. When he saw his downed brother he was instantly very suspicious and crept around a big tree.. Then he decided to climb up the tree and peek around the trunk at blondie.. The top of his head just presented too tempting a target. Since he was a bit closer than the first on I felt good about the shot and made it easily..
Right before I was about to get down a blue norther blew in like a hurricane and damn near blew my little butt out of the tree! Then it started raining and the temperature dropped dramaticly in minutes !! I was going to get a nice picture of my prizes but with the cold, blowing rain I took a quick snapshot and started out of the woods..
This pretty well wraps up my 48th year of bear hunting in Ft. Bend county.... I've been persistant if nothing else, even so I have not seen a single son of a bitch yet !

I hope you enjoyed Pat's hunt for the elusive south Texas bear.
Butch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
For some reason the thought of the dog chasing cars comes to mind? What is he really going to do if he finally catches one???

Great story.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harold,
Pat has a ranch in the Needville area. He is a BR Hall of Fame shooter and an even better off hand rifle shooter. He has a very nice machine shop at the ranch and builds his own rifles.
If Pat caught a bear, I'll bet it would be dead.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote