New
Find
Notify
Tools

SD wolves
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SPEARFISH, S.D. (AP) They're infrequent visitors to South Dakota, but wildlife managers are thinking ahead to the possibility that wolves might someday find a home in the state.

A wolf was killed in a trap in Harding County four years ago and another was hit by a car in the Black Hills two years ago.

A wolf expert says those animals were likely alone and looking for a mate. DNA testing traced one wolf to a Minnesota pack; the other was linked to Yellowstone National Park.

John Kanta with the Department of Game, Fish and Parks says the agency is considering writing a management plan for wolves. He says the only thing in place right now is how to handle problems if wolves are attacking livestock.

I wonder if SD is going to have to deal with the same Federal BS as Wyoming, Montana & Idaho?

I know how the ranchers are going to handle them.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, South Dakota will not come under the Federally mandated wolf reintroduction plans as we did here in Idaho. It's totally BS, through and through....and for the most part, spearheaded by the Greenies and Tree Huggers who think the wolves are "cute". Thankfully, the wolf "management" program was handed over to the State of Idaho last year, so we will be having our first legal wolf hunting season this year.

Good luck to you and SD on your wolf problems.

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 12 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I have some property in Harding County as a matter of fact.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolf Mangement = Shoot Shovel and ShutUp...that is the only soultion that works...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wolf Mangement = Shoot Shovel and ShutUp...that is the only soultion that works...

The perfect answer to the below statement.

quote:
I know how the ranchers are going to handle them.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
A wolf-like canid was found dead along a highway in North Dakota near Theodore Roosevelt National Park and Belfield, ND. ND Game and Fish and the Service are investigating its possible origin and cause of death. 1/4/08

If SD follows ID, MT & WY, you will need a base population of at least 300 wolves before you can delist. It maybe 10 years before you will see a hunting season.

If the Hill-Billy ticket wins this fall, we could kiss guns and hunting good bye.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One solution in my area of Idaho has been "gut shooting". A great deal of the Federally reintroduced wolves have/had radio telemetry collars on them which sent real-time information to the Feds that measured just about every bodily function including heart rate, blood pressure and location within a couple of yards. If someone killed a wolf in it's tracks, you could count on a Federal mountie to show up with a few minutes and God help you if you were anywhere in the vicinity.
So, the routine was to "gut shoot" them....and usually, they'd go off a few miles before dying, giving the shooter time to vacate the premises.

I know some of you might find this very unsportsman like, but what would YOU do if these predators were in YOUR neighborhood, threatening YOUR pets, YOUR livestock and even YOUR children or grandchildren? That's what WE'RE faced with, thanks to the Federal Government and the Tree Huggers and the Greenies.

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 12 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
A great deal of the Federally reintroduced wolves have/had radio telemetry collars on them which sent real-time information to the Feds that measured just about every bodily function including heart rate, blood pressure and location within a couple of yards. If someone killed a wolf in it's tracks, you could count on a Federal mountie to show up with a few minutes and God help you if you were anywhere in the vicinity.
So, the routine was to "gut shoot" them....and usually, they'd go off a few miles before dying, giving the shooter time to vacate the premises.

I know some of you might find this very unsportsman like, but what would YOU do if these predators were in YOUR neighborhood, threatening YOUR pets, YOUR livestock and even YOUR children or grandchildren? That's what WE'RE faced with, thanks to the Federal Government and the Tree Huggers and the Greenies.

You're a fuggn idiot... If the wolf is dead, the signal changes to a diffrent frequency that tells the 'tracker' the wolf hasn't moved for 24hrs or what ever its set at. The collars don't monitor chit.

These posts always crack me up. The same guys that say they would turn in a guy for poaching a deer or elk are the same dumbazzes that say they would poach a wolf. Poaching is poaching. I think someone caught 'gut shooting' or SSS a wolf should lose thier hunting privliges for life.

I have a $100 that says you've never so much as seen a wolf, let alone know anyone thats "gut shot one"...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:I have a $100 that says you've never so much as seen a wolf, let alone know anyone thats "gut shot one"...

I'd say your money is perfectly safe. Idiots abound and they seem to be out reproducing wolves 1000:1 at least.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
Idiots abound and they seem to be out reproducing wolves. Brent

Why are they all Pro Wolf?

Why is the population of wolves in Minnesota growing so slowly with all the deer (over 1 million)? With something like 2 million deer next door in Wisconsin, the wolf population is growing very slowly if at all. I've never read about wolves hit on the highways in those two states, which should be a daily occurence with all the roadkilled deer? Have those wolves given up on breeding?

We seem to be shooting a lot of problem wolves out here that may have eaten all the existing wildlife and have turned to livestock. Why don't we trap these wolves and relocate them to other national parks until the historic range of the wolf is restored. As we have been told, wolves will disperse hundreds of miles establishing new territories.

Remember, wolves are the missing link in restoring balance to nature, so to say Rocky Mountain National Park (for example) doesn't need wolves to restore balance to their elk population in laughable.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snapper-how in the heck have you been? Have you been out after the yotes lately?

Look for a pm to be coming your way.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapper:
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
Idiots abound and they seem to be out reproducing wolves.
Brent

Why are they all Pro Wolf?

Why is the population of wolves in Minnesota growing so slowly with all the deer (over 1 million)? With something like 2 million deer next door in Wisconsin, the wolf population is growing very slowly if at all. I've never read about wolves hit on the highways in those two states, which should be a daily occurence with all the roadkilled deer? Have those wolves given up on breeding?

We seem to be shooting a lot of problem wolves out here that may have eaten all the existing wildlife and have turned to livestock. Why don't we trap these wolves and relocate them to other national parks until the historic range of the wolf is restored. As we have been told, wolves will disperse hundreds of miles establishing new territories.

Remember, wolves are the missing link in restoring balance to nature, so to say Rocky Mountain National Park (for example) doesn't need wolves to restore balance to their elk population in laughable.
I lived in N.MN. for 30 years, in a small town, I know what is happening to the wolves, and it should be happening here, as far as being hit on the roads, all the time, I hit one myself, ask the local wardens, they have to come a pick them up. The deer are holding their own, more logging than any one has seen and a series of good winters, when a couple of bad winters hit the wolves will have a feeding frenzy, I have pics from the 70's that show a deer yard after the wolves have cleaned it out.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ivan....before you begin calling names, perhaps you should educate yourself, you fuggin idiot!

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/starkey/tracking.shtml

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
That is some funny shit!!!! animal.....

I wish I could get radio collars that we could find our dead lions "within minutes...."

Where do they find this stuff???? Heart rate??? Blood pressure???? WWWWWHHHHAAAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAAA.......thats funny!!!

"Real time information???" I'd like to get some of those batteries they are using too......our collars are $4400 and only come on 6 times per day for 5 minutes and we only get about 8-10 months before we have to change batteries.....

brilliant......

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote