Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming area 7 Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted
We drew elk tags for area 7, and would like any input from previous tag holders. Locals' input would be appreciated too. It is a very large area, and we do not know where to start. Thanks, Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir - Below is a 351" B&C bull I took in unit 7, November 2011. I've hunted this unit twice, and I've taken two good bulls. If you're interested in/looking for a guided hunt by chance, send me a PM and I'll get you some info?

Thank you,

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
We were thinking of a DYI hunt as most of the guides only offer very short duration hunts. We just need some advise on where to start without compromising someone's honey hole. I may call you-I see your number on your posting.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Anyone else hunted elk in wyo area 7?

-Edward, duke of York

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twoseventy:
We were thinking of a DYI hunt as most of the guides only offer very short duration hunts. We just need some advise on where to start without compromising someone's honey hole. I may call you-I see your number on your posting.

Tom

I think the phrase "honey hole" is hilarious

Unit 7 can be tough for a DIY guy because there is a lot of good public ground that is landlocked. Obviously there is public ground that is easy to access but there will be a lot more competition

Also, a lot of reasons that guided hunts are shorter in duration is because the guides and outfitters know what they're doing and dont have to waste time during the season actually scouting. With fuel being $4.00 a gallon or more and you living in Oregon you may not spend a bunch more going the guided route as food, lodging, fuel and access to good country is included. I think there are guys up there offering 7 day hunts and thats quite a bit of time.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Public is very difficult to access. Get a helicopter to fly you in. Many ranchers have it locked up and you have to pay to play. My son took a 360 bull on his own, walked in, GPS, when he was going to college down there. I will try and ask him see if he will share it.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finding access without using an outfitter will be harder than finding an Elk. Good luck on your hunt.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments, guys.

-Edward, duke of York

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call game and fish. They usually have landowner lists for areas in WY. Might be worth calling landowners up and see if they allow trespassing for a fee. I believe most might be tied in with outfitters, but doesn't hurt to go down the list and call.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobby7321:
Call game and fish. They usually have landowner lists for areas in WY. Might be worth calling landowners up and see if they allow trespassing for a fee. I believe most might be tied in with outfitters, but doesn't hurt to go down the list and call.[/QUOTE

Thanks. I tried that and got one guy to offer trespass fee for $300 for the season. He gave some other ideas too.

Tom

-Edward, duke of York

Cogito ergo venor- KPete