Find
Notify
Tools

Mule Deer in Eastern MT
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted
I've hunted in eastern MT for the past 20 years and usualy had no problem bagging a decent 4 X 4. In 2013 I saw maybe 80-90% fewer deer and only TWO 4 X 4's in five hard days of hunting. I hunt south of Wibaux and just north of Baker, west of Route 7. Was this from winter die off, EHD or some other factors??

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Not sure about EHD but there was a big winter die off a few years ago, really hammered the antelope and deer fawn recruitment. Not sure about others but I've seen a huge increase in people from all over the Northwest and Midwest and Western Montana hunting in Eastern MT, the pressure on public land is nuts. Places I used to never see another soul now have several trucks parked.

It all adds up, still fun and still possible to take a nice deer.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big snow storm that spring decimated the herd.It will take another 2 to 4 years for it to build up and for some of the Bucks to reach a mature age.I hunted in Northern Montana last fall because of that.I did`nt see as many deer as I had in the past,but more mature bucks.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
A big snow storm that spring decimated the herd.It will take another 2 to 4 years for it to build up and for some of the Bucks to reach a mature age.I hunted in Northern Montana last fall because of that.I did`nt see as many deer as I had in the past,but more mature bucks.

Speaking of which, what happened to the 2500 or so antelope that were stuck on the south side of Fort Peck Reservoir after the ice melted?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14617 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:

Speaking of which, what happened to the 2500 or so antelope that were stuck on the south side of Fort Peck Reservoir after the ice melted?

No clue.They probably ended up on The RES.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rough winter and blue tongue has taken a big toll on the critters. They are starting to come back though and doe tags have either been way decreased or eliminates.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
There were NO antlerless tags available for any units here in the Northwest corner. Herd is picking up a little but still not where it ought to be.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote