Find
Notify
Tools

Fall Deer Haul So Far
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
It's been a good fall so far. My wife took a nice whitetail on the opening of rifle season - posted elsewhere on this forum. Here are some other deer.

My father-in-law took this 3x4 Sika Buck Friday night (hard to tell from the pic). He's 71. I hope the meat turns out okay, he was in full rut and soaked in urine. I cut-away all the urine soaked areas before I opened him up. This is from Blanco County, TX

This is my first mule deer. Above average for the area we were hunting in SE Montana. It was a hard 5 day hunt.

I took this deer 2 days later in Blanco County, TX. One of my daughters (the one holding the deer) was on a BIG 8 for a long time, but decided she wanted me to shoot this one.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
That's one HELL of a nice buck for Blanco County....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
That's one HELL of a nice buck for Blanco County....

The place in Blanco is a high fenced lease. They have a management program, but not to intense - no introduced genetics nor breeding. I actually think they could get more aggressive on the harvest #s and requirements and get even bigger deer. Eventually they want to take all the Sika off; pretty much already done that with the Red Deer and Aoudad. Suspect they will do the Fallow next - and get to white tail only.

Back in 2009, I had a lease in Northern Blanco county that was all low fence, no management program, and no feeding. The deer were about the same caliber (but a bit heavier mass). They introduced South Texas whitetail genetics in the 1950's and then never really hunted that much. The place was also extremely wet year around even during droughts due to numerous springs that came up just about everywhere - lots of food and water for the deer.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great year so far! Keep up the good work!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote