New
Find
Notify
Tools

BEAR HUNT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am a new member to this forum and would like to know if any has hunted on the Quinault Indian reservation in washington. I booked a hunt there for april.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Lake Quinault in the summers and my uncles hunted quite a bit around there with there friends that were natives.

I haven't hunted the area but I'd trust that you'll have a good time on that hunt. The Quinaults can get a little stinjy on their expected "tips", from fishing experience, but I know a few people that have shot 300+ lb boars on there way to work out there, so who knows whats lurking with the Roosevelts out in the timber.

It's thick, and I mean super thick country, but you might get into some 200 yard shooting in the clear cuts, if the bears are in there.

You are entering the only Rain Forrest in North America, just as a reminder.

If it were me, I'd shoot some heavy bullets around there just for the plain fact that if a bear runs, it could get hairy trying to find him because of the ground cover. So, I'd use everything I can to anchor a bruin in that country, even though they are blacks.

Good Luck on the hunt!

Magnum

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the scoop. I am hunting 11 april to
15th. If you are in the area maybe we can meet if i have any luck. The quinalt's sold me two bear tags and state of washington game and fish sent me tags and envelopes for a tooth from each bear.This my first hunt in Wash. St. Iam
a rabid bear hunter and have taken bears in 7 states and 4 canadian prov.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

DRSS
NRA Life Member

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last issue of Safari magazine had a good article on the bears of the reservation. They are quite impressive! You're gonna have a heck of a hunt. See if you can rustle up that magazine, Jan-Feb, 2006.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you do not mind me asking, but what is the cost of this Spring hunt? Thanks

Posts: 75 | Location: Spring, Texas,USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
RM700-

Let me know how the hunt goes and maybe send me some pictures my way if you get any.

I love that area and it is definately Bear country.

Good luck and Post updates if you can.

Magnum

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RM007:
I am a new member to this forum and would like to know if any has hunted on the Quinault Indian reservation in washington. I booked a hunt there for april.

It would be really surprising if you did find someone here. This is only the second year of the hunt. So even if you asked your guide for references, they could only provide 1 at most.

Interesting hunt. First time I have heard of bear populations being managed because of tree damage. An article I read talked about 350lb bears with 19" skulls. Decent, but not extraordinary. Still, it sounds like a fun hunt. Best of luck! Either way, come back and post your account. It sounds like it could be very interesting... stalking for black bear in such heavy cover.

If you have not hunted black bear before, be very careful to look over several of them. It takes some time/experience to judge their size.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 AI:

Interesting hunt. First time I have heard of bear populations being managed because of tree damage.

I was told by the loggers last spring that Longview Timber Company still employs professional bear hunters to manage the bears because of the damage they cause to young trees. I'll be checking in to that this summer.

Posts: 48 | Location: About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23) | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Control hunts on bears for tree damage has been going on in Washington for a long time. Basically the western side of the state is use to it.

The bears love to tear apart young trees and they can wipe out an entire planting in under a week, which is about a few hundred trees.

Also, ever since they put in the No Bait/ No Hounds law in Washington, from numbers I've seen, we've had the highest population of Cougars and Bears in the United States and those populations tripled the the few years after that law was put in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ROYCE
The cost of the hunt is only $1500
Tags were $250 for the 1st tag and $150 for the second. I don't know any where else you can get the chance at two bears in the lower 48 on one hunt

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

DRSS
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RM007:
Thanks for the scoop. I am hunting 11 april to
15th. If you are in the area maybe we can meet if i have any luck. The quinalt's sold me two bear tags and state of washington game and fish sent me tags and envelopes for a tooth from each bear.This my first hunt in Wash. St. Iam
a rabid bear hunter and have taken bears in 7 states and 4 canadian prov.

Dude, we have to talk!! I love bear hunting and am planning a Queen Charlotte trip in September. Picture it, huge black that have been feasting on Salmon!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.366torque I see your are from B.C. one of my favarite places to hunt bears. I have hunted B.C. three times with Roy Patterson love him and his area, always see lots of bears and have taken great trophies with him. Back in 1987 he and I hunted buff and plains game in Botswana.
I now have taken 17 bears and look foward to many more hunts

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

DRSS
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
RM007,

That Pattison dude don't know nuthin' about hunting them bears! Roll Eyes -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony listen to you as I recall you shot two bears the evening we got into camp before dark.
Remind me what did you do for the rest of our 10 day hunt? I for one still claim you were sober the entire time! cheers

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

DRSS
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was ALWAYS sober! Now what was it that I did do for the rest of the hunt???? Confused -TONY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony you can claim soberity in canada but I bet your buddy Joe Renyolds will back me on mexixo

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

DRSS
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Huh?? I would never ever touch a cerveza, margarita or senorita in Mexico. That's against my religion. Roll Eyes -TONY

One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum61:
Control hunts on bears for tree damage has been going on in Washington for a long time. Basically the western side of the state is use to it.

The bears love to tear apart young trees and they can wipe out an entire planting in under a week, which is about a few hundred trees.

Also, ever since they put in the No Bait/ No Hounds law in Washington, from numbers I've seen, we've had the highest population of Cougars and Bears in the United States and those populations tripled the the few years after that law was put in.

I have been hunting bears and reading about them for 30+ years. The one thing I have learned, is that I still have alot to learn. Thanks for this information. I have to start searching the sites in Washington for more information.

Makes me wonder why they go after the new plantings? Is this a preferred natural food that is being provided in abundance by humans? So many questions....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Makes me wonder why they go after the new plantings? Is this a preferred natural food that is being provided in abundance by humans? So many questions....

They don't eat newly planted trees. They prefer trees a little bit older, about 10 to 20 year old trees. I hunted last spring in one of the special permit spring bear units, and saw lots of trees that had been freshly peeled by bears, and also plenty of dead trees that had been peeled in the previous year or two.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
BINGO!

Thanks for the correction Washington Hunter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
REM007, Rain Gear Big Grin and heavy bullets as you want to anchor him were he is. The last thing you want is to have to go in that brush after a wounded bear, not fun at all!!

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Washington hunter please tell about your hunt.
Who was your guide how many bears did you see.
Were you sucessful, come spill it. I gotta know

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

DRSS
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...I didn't have a guide. I was hunting close to home so a guide isn't necessary. I did kill a bear about the 4th time out. Called him out into a clearcut with a fawn in distress call. If I remember right it was around 45 minutes of calling before we saw him. We saw one bear the previous weekend, and two on this day. (one bear wandered through the clearcut about an hour after I killed my bear)

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WASHINGTON HUNTER... It is AMAZING how well the fawn in distress call works. I called in a fair sized black bear several years ago just to get a photo or two. Damned thing came in so fast I near soiled my skivees!!! 'Kinda wished the 35mm was bullet size at that time!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote