New
Find
Notify
Tools

FIRST BUCK!!!!!! (since 2002)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I've been hunting this buck since Tuesday after he gave me the slip...then yesterday he gave me the slip as well. Both times were in the afternoon, so I figured I'd try the morning and see if I could get on him. After spending 45min of just watching and waiting (glorious MT sunrise btw) here he came with 2 other big bucks. The other two had greater tine length, but not as much mass. I've had my eye on this particular buck for 3 days now, so I wasn't going to second guess my choice. This is the biggest buck to come off of this place since the 90s. We haven't seen much of anything as far as good, mature deer on this place for the last 5-6 years, so we've been hunting the area, but not really harvesting anything--just hoping for these bucks to grow up. Well, the management has paid off, and now my brother is drooling at the chance to go find the other bucks that were with this one.

Gun: Remington 700LSS 300RUM
Bullet: 180gr Barnes TSX (3400fps)
Range: 100yds

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=444922

He's a 6x5 if you count the brow tines--he's got a little kicker at the very base of his left side to make it 6 on that side--just barely noticeable in the pic.

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

God Bless and Shoot Straight

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh--Voltaire

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent buck and game management philosophy

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Here is the picture of Gran Cazador Blanco's deer:

That is a nice deer for sure. Congrats.
Of course, you are correct about letting the deer in an area mature before killing them. I once hunted a small farm in an isolated location that was bordered by a horseshoe shaped river at three sides and railroad tracks and plowed fields at the other. The farm was only about 60 acres of woods and 60 acres of fields, but it was off limits to hunters for several years. This little sanctuary was responsible for a number of nice bucks over the course of a few years, until ownership of a portion changed due to a divorce. The place has not been the same since.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Just returned from a great Antelope hunt in Winnett with my son. He is hunting a similar buck in #######, MT. So far the score is buck 2, son 0.

MZ season starts here tomorrow, maybe I'll see one as well.

Happy in NH, but wishing I was in MT,

Lee

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for putting it on the board, Cwilson!!! I just now figured out how to use hunt101. These are the results we've been hoping for in letting all the little guys grow up, it's nice to see it actually working--we were beginning to wonder these last two years! Now it's off to hunt Wapiti this weekend, and then to Alaska to fish!!!!! YEE HAW!!!

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

God Bless and Shoot Straight

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh--Voltaire

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got to love those white tails cheers

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STUD PUPPY of a deer! Way to go and congrats!

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote